Dead Egg?? Strange egg??

Dec 1, 2020
Western Washington
This is my first try incubating chicken eggs. I only put 5 into my incubator because I already have plenty of chickens but wanted to try hatching:lol:.Tonight will be the end of day 9. I was too excited so I went ahead and candled just now instead of tomorrow night. I found two eggs looking good with developed embryo and plenty of veins, one unfertilized egg, one I believe to be dead, and one with something strange. So obviously, I have a question about the last two. Here is the one I think to dead:

unnamed-1.jpg

I heard of something called blood rings which are an indicator the embryo died. The egg was kind of small but I was hoping it would hatch anyways. Also, the incubator I got (not the one behind in the picture) is not keeping the eggs at a steady temperature. Constantly dipping down to 36.6 degrees C then up to 37.6 degrees and not staying at 37.5 for long periods of time. Could this be the cause? Or from the slightly irregular egg?

Here is the other one I wanted to ask about, I figured this is just a vein that is really close to the shell:
unnamed.jpg

This is my first try incubating chicken eggs. I only put 5 into my incubator because I already have plenty of chickens but wanted to try hatching:lol:.Tonight will be the end of day 9. I was too excited so I went ahead and candled just now instead of tomorrow night. I found two eggs looking good with developed embryo and plenty of veins, one unfertilized egg, one I believe to be dead, and one with something strange. So obviously, I have a question about the last two. Here is the one I think to dead:

View attachment 2572063

I heard of something called blood rings which are an indicator the embryo died. The egg was kind of small but I was hoping it would hatch anyways. Also, the incubator I got (not the one behind in the picture) is not keeping the eggs at a steady temperature. Constantly dipping down to 36.6 degrees C then up to 37.6 degrees and not staying at 37.5 for long periods of time. Could this be the cause? Or from the slightly irregular egg?

Here is the other one I wanted to ask about, I figured this is just a vein that is really close to the shell:View attachment 2572076
Both look dead.
I'm sorry.

Back
Top Bottom