Dead egg...what to do with it?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by 6Chickens&counting, Jan 24, 2012.

1. 6Chickens&counting

6Chickens&counting Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    It looks as if the embryo made it to day 9 then died.... its day 12 and I am almost 100% sure it's dead.. :( What do I do with it? [​IMG]

2. champer

champer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    San Martin, CA
    Flush it , garbage disposal or trash. Did you open the egg or is it that by candling you've seen development stop?

3. Debi214

Debi214 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    Richmond, VA
    Bury it or throw it in the trash.

4. 6Chickens&counting

Jun 7, 2011
    Well there are four silkie fertile eggs I have in the bator and I candle every day and the three are moving and very active and the whole egg is their body not like before day 9 when half the egg is light with emptyness.... while the one egg still has the lightness and no movement with no veins anymore.

5. champer

Jun 13, 2011
    San Martin, CA
    It probably is dead, but I would be inclined to leave it in the bator for a while longer in case it is just a bit delayed.

6. 6Chickens&counting

Jun 7, 2011
    Yeah I agree it's in the bator and I'm planning on leaving it until day 15 and if no change then I would imagine it's dead....thanks for the help though :)

7. champer

Jun 13, 2011
    San Martin, CA
    My pleasure. I'm antsy, I just set eggs on Sat, nothing really to do yet, so I'm monitoring everyone else's hatches. [​IMG]

8. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    I just put it in a small bag and throw it away. They will smell Bad if open !![​IMG]

9. Sphinx

Sphinx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Utah
    Well, I'm very, very curious, so generally what I've done is seal it up in a bag (like a ziploc bag), and then crack it open so I can see what's inside.

10. debs_flock

debs_flock Overrun With Chickens

Sep 14, 2011
    Shingle Springs, CA
    Why do you candle every day? I think the best thing you can do for your eggs development is to handle them as little as possible.

If you are photographing and documenting the daily development, that's different. If you are checking daily just because you can't stand the wait...........sit on your hands. It's better for the egg.

Oh, and to your question......I've placed the egg in a ziploc bag and placed it in the outside trash.

Good luck,
    Deb

Last edited: Jan 24, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by