Dead hatchlings

AAOL

In the Brooder
Mar 23, 2020
I had one female ancona that something got a hold of through the kennel they are in. Not long before this I put two of her eggs in an incubator the model in the picture below. The babies developed alright but didn't hatch they died 6 days before the time I had calculated for them to hatch. Upon opening the eggs they looked like they had fully developed to me but still had the yolk sacs. Can anyone tell me what happened did I have my incubator set too low. I had it a 37.5 Celsius. I had seen one had stopped moving the second to last time I candled them should have I opened the other up when I noticed the one had stopped moving
Screenshot_20210712-071022~2.png
image000001~2.jpg

Usually when they are fully formed, but die before hatching it is in most cases due to 2 reasons if it's a humidity issue (there are others, but these are the most common two):

1. The humidity is high and it causes the duckling to actually drown in the egg

2. The humidity is low- the membrane vacuum seals the duckling and it suffocates.

Temperature can also fluctuate causing mainly:

1. (Low temperature) delayed hatch and slow growth aka. developmental problems.

2. (Too high)
a. the ducklings either develop too quickly causing organs, skeletal structure etc. to develop faster than they should. Some hatch and can be saved others don't make it because of issues with the fast developmental growth.
b. The ducklings overheat and die

Whenever you hatch you should use both an analog hygrometer and an analog thermometer that are pre-calibrated right before placing in the incubator. The onboard instruments for incubators are often incorrect and most cannot be calibrated (The onboard instruments for the Nurture Right 360 can be calibrated upon manufacturer instructions). Again these are just some of the many possible reasons, but they are some of the main causes without getting too technical.

Last edited:
Usually when they are fully formed, but die before hatching it is in most cases due to 2 reasons if it's a humidity issue (there are others, but these are the most common two):

1. The humidity is high and it causes the duckling to actually drown in the egg

2. The humidity is low- the membrane vacuum seals the duckling and it suffocates.

Temperature can also fluctuate causing mainly:

1. (Low temperature) delayed hatch and slow growth aka. developmental problems.

2. (Too high)
a. the ducklings either develop too quickly causing them to develop faster than they should. Some hatch and can be saved others don't make it because of issues with the fast developmental growth.
b. The ducklings overheat and die

Whenever you hatch you should use both an analog hygrometer and an analog thermometer that are pre-calibrated right before placing in the incubator. The onboard instruments for incubators are often incorrect and most cannot be calibrated (The onboard instruments for the Nurture Right 360 can be calibrated upon manufacturer instructions). Again these are just some of the many possible reasons, but they are some of the main causes without getting too technical.
Thank you

Back
Top Bottom