dead hen

smarsh2

Songster
10 Years
Sep 1, 2009
I have had chickens in my backyard for 3-1/2 years now(4 summers). I have have had one to die each of the last 3 summers. 2 never really showed any signs of any problems, the other did get sick, but had appeared to get over it, only to die awhile later.

The latest was laying well, looked fine, fat and happy. She did show signs of a little runniness (no dis-coloring), but I put it off to too many grasshoppers. She followed me about in the vacant lot behind me and I flushed grasshoppers for her. She would catch a good number and I would catch some that she would take from me.

Anyway, dead this morning. Maybe heat (about 98 here yesterday with high humidity). All the hens show a little heat stress but were happy and running for the evening's free range time.

Do chickens die from heat often?

I'm sorry you lost her. Sounds like you two had a close relationship. And, yes, heat can kill a hen.

They can. Put ice in the water, and if you can find a little wader pool, fill it with a few inches of water... put in shade, the chickens will stand in it and cool off. I lost a pullet to heat stroke earlier this year... We had such high humidity and heat that it was like being in a sauna...

thanks, she was a pretty little squattie hen, half white wyandotte, half brown leghorn. this is a picture of her before her comb got so large

40382_img_0126.jpg

Quote:
While your at it, add some electrolytes to that nice ice water, to help them though a stressful hot summer. I didn't have a little pool for the girls so I showered them with the garden hose a couple times a day during the 100+ degree we experienced. Good Luck

My sweet hen died on August 25 when the temperature hit 98 F. She had water, watermelon, a pan of water to stand in, shade. Was in a ventilated run. Her sister survived.

It wasn't humid.

Had I been home to let her out and get her in deep shade, I feel certain she would have survived. I think deep shade is vital, especially if the bird has any underlying conditions. Mine seemed fine, was laying, but I had noticed she panted harder on hot days than her sister did. She was fatter, and I think her weight did her in, resulting in heat stroke. I hate the nasty heat.

I will never get over her death. I was away on vacation, trying to get to the cool Oregon Coast, while she was dying in the heat. She was only 17 months old, a Plymouth Rock. They are more prone to dying in the heat, because of their heavier weights.

Sorry about your bird. She sure was a cutie!

Here is a picture of mine (she was the one with the orange legs, in the foreground):

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/84553_dsc00742.jpg

a hot hen will stand with their wings out in an effort to cool themselves. They will pant but like a dog panting oxygenates their body to help them stay cool. You will know they are in trouble by how they act. Panting excessively hard. Unwilling to move to the water dish or to a shadier spot. When they start to shut down like that they will not be able to meet their own needs and will die eventually unless you intervene with extra measures to help keep them cool. Misting the run wetting the roof of the coop, and the other things mentioned here already.

thanks, it has been VERY hot here in alabama this summer. i think its about over now though. i did worry bout them some cause the humidity it was even hard for me to breathe sometimes. i did bring them in the air conditioning in my home a few times. i said we were going to have to build them something to put air conditioning in and of course everyone thought i was CRAZ E
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom