Dead Hens???

You mentioned the cold.. Could it be that their water is frozen and they are dehydrated, causing eggbinding and vent problems, which led to the bloodthirsty behavior?

My guess would be that the hens laid their first eggs and there was blood on the vent afterward. That attracted the other hens to start pecking their vents.

I would remove the bloody hens, clean and dry them. Put blue kote on their vents. Chickens are very attracted to red/blood and are relentless about pecking at it.

If you find that you have a hen developing a habit of pecking at other hen vents, I would cull this hen.

I think part of my problem is over feeding ?? I get a lot of double yolk eggs that might create a problem for the vent ?? The temp here has been in the 60s and 70s so no frozen water and they have plenty of it. I might have them a little crowded. I want to turn them loose and let them out of there yard but I worry about the dogs getting them. I think my problem is a combination of everything, from young hens just starting to lay, cold weather when it started, large eggs, and what ever else that goes with young hens. Thanks for all the feed back. Ron Price

I've always been told you cant really overfeed unless they are meat birds that are bred to be heavyweights but are being kept long-term as pets. I wouldnt expect it to be a problem with layers, everyone lets them eat as much as they want.

Back
Top Bottom