Dead in coop?

Bitemynekk

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
I bought two point of lay chickens a week ago and they have been kept confined in their coop for the past week. This morning one was found dead with no visible signs of injury except a couple of feathers missing. They were both fine the last I looked. Any thoughts on what killed it? The coop is on concrete and has small square chicken wire. I'm new to keeping chickens and concerned the second chicken may die too. My guess is that it may have been unwell when I got it? I appreciate all thoughts.

Last edited:
I think maybe Mareks disease, I don't think it has a cure, so I don't think you could have saved them...
hugs.gif

Sometimes chickens just die for no apparent reason, due to heart attacks or other internal problems (stuck egg, worms, tumors, etc.). Did the dead chicken (and the other one that is still alive) feel particularly fat or thin? I'd check the remaining one for external parasites, as those can cause anemia and eventual death. Worming wouldn't be a bad idea, either.

Whatever happened, I don't think it was anything you did, and there probably wasn't any way you could have prevented it. I doubt it is anything contagious, but I would observe the other hen closely for the next few days.

Quote:
I bought two point of lay chickens a week ago and they have been kept confined in their coop for the past week. This morning one was found dead with no visible signs of injury except a couple of feathers missing. They were both fine the last I looked. Any thoughts on what killed it? The coop is on concrete.... I appreciate all thoughts.
I am unable to tell you what killed your pullet, but bare concrete is not a preferred flooring for fowl of any type. I'm not saying you kept your chickens on the concrete, I am just asking. If you did then give the remaining hen a floor of shavings or wheat straw to insulate her from the cold damp floor.

Thank you for the replies. I'm keeping a close eye on Hilde who seems fine, and will continue to do so. Linde (who died) was the smaller and more timid of the two of them, and Hilde was the one who settled in quickest and seemed to act as guardian over Linde. I've contacted the people I got her from so I'll. see what they say. What's the etiquette there?
I'd planned on getting an slw this week but I'm concerned that if Hilde is unwell she will make any new chickens sick too. Is a vet visit a good idea? Ty for the replies, these are the first chickens I've owned.
@chickengeorgeto Thank you for the advice. The coop has an upper floor which is where the chickens are shut in at night. They are on concrete as a temporary measure while I build a run, and will be moved soon.

Back
Top Bottom