Dead in the egg

Kjeld

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 6, 2013
Hi ppl, im having trouble with some geese eggs that have internal pip on friday, drilled a little air whole to help Them get air! Then the waiting started! Now one of them have turned around inside the egg, and closed the air whole and died due to that! We opened the egg to see how far it was with the navel area! And here is what we saw!

Now we wonder why it started turning round when it was clearly not ready to come out? And why it was not further in the proses, it been 48 hours since external pip!

Hi ppl, im having trouble with some geese eggs that have internal pip on friday, drilled a little air whole to help Them get air! Then the waiting started! Now one of them have turned around inside the egg, and closed the air whole and died due to that! We opened the egg to see how far it was with the navel area! And here is what we saw!

Now we wonder why it started turning round when it was clearly not ready to come out? And why it was not further in the proses, it been 48 hours since external pip!
I don't have any answers for you, just wanted to say sorry for your loss, looks like it would have been a beauty too.

It isn't easy to let nature take its own course, but often it is the best alternative. It is possible that the baby follows its sense of where the air is coming from and all it's subsequent moves are aimed at getting out of the hole it made. The drilled hole confuses the instinctive reactions to the pipped hole.

Hi there

Just to be clear this gosling both internally and externally pipped???

Was the gosling also vocal, peeping vocally in the last 24 hours?

Finally what where your incubator conditions - temp and humidity?

With a little more detail I may be able to give you more insight into why this gosling was a very late 'dead in shell'.

Pete

It was internel pipping then i made the small drilled whole (2,5 mm) it pipped away for 48 hours, then when i checked on it, it had turned so it covered the air whole, and it was not mooving or pipping anymore
1f622.png

The hatcher is running on 37,3 C. And 70% humidity
The inkubator are running at 37,8 C. And 35% humidity
Now 2 gooslings have come out perfekt and the last of 4 eggs had died without internal pip! We openend the egg to find the chick laying the wrong way, so there was no way we could have helped it!

Hi there

I wouldn't worry too much as your settings seem fine - and I would think you will get higher success rates in the future.

What breed was the baby?

If anything maybe your humidity could come down to 30% but you have live goslings which prove your techniques are sound.

The gosling you lost was simply very unlucky. Basically its gone into rotation and as its turned it blocked the air source and suffocated. Its rare to happen but I did have a baby parrot do just the same. Vigorous and went into rotation without problem but the efforts of pushing against the shell occluded the air source. Rotation is the most active phase of hatching where the chick uses huge amounts of energy and therefore oxygen.

The yolk sac is immaterial and as the baby rotated the egg this would have been pulled into the abdominal cavity as it drew deep breaths.

Hope that offers you insight and best of luck with future hatches.

Pete
wink.png

Thanks Pete, that realy made good sence about the yolk sac, i was affraid something i did had stopped or sloved the proces!
Its still Swan geese, the lady just keeps on laying eggs, witch is good, then i might get pro at hatching them :)

Hi ppl, im having trouble with some geese eggs that have internal pip on friday, drilled a little air whole to help Them get air! Then the waiting started! Now one of them have turned around inside the egg, and closed the air whole and died due to that! We opened the egg to see how far it was with the navel area! And here is what we saw! Now we wonder why it started turning round when it was clearly not ready to come out? And why it was not further in the proses, it been 48 hours since external pip!
I don't have any answers for you, just wanted to say sorry for your loss, looks like it would have been a beauty too.
Yes, so sorry.

Back
Top Bottom