Dead khaki with no injuries

mycountrylife

Hatching
Jun 21, 2016
Hi everyone! I just got home and 2 out of 3 of my ducks looked like they just dropped dead in the yard. They free range and have a small kiddie pool to swim in/drink from. I keep food out and they usually are just under the porch when we get home or are in their pool. The 2 that are dead were attacked by a coon less than 2 weeks ago (which we trapped and killed the next night).. my wonder is how did my ducks die? No signs of trauma and looked and seemed very healthy.the only duck left I'd the only one who wasn't bit by the coon. Is it possible my other 2 had an infection or something? Their injuries healed great and faSt I never would have suspected they were sick but can't think of anything else that would have killed them? The water in the pond was from the night before. Was it bad? I feel awful. Thanks.

Without fencing to protect them, they are susceptible to any number of predators.

At this point I would say get the one left into a safe area, and keep him or her there. Predators return to finish the job.

You might consider a necropsy - to be sure what happened.

There is a predators and pests forum where you might find help doing the forensic work of guessing what killed them if it was a predator.

Back
Top Bottom