Dead mouse Found in drinking water

Goat_Walker

I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady
11 Years
Jul 9, 2008
Maryland
Well ive been gone for a week , i had someone watching my ducks for me, but ill never do that again.

Yeah, she fed them .. once. The corn and flock starter got al soaked from the rain, the pools were solid mud , and in one of the main drinking buckets, there was a HUGE dead mouse! It was jet black and the only reason i knew it wasnt a rat was from the face.

Well before I could remove it and get rid of it, my mama duck ( sitting on 13 eggs and still laying) went over and drank from it, so im sure they hae been doing it for a while.

The mouse had been dead a couple of days. Even in water, he was hard. I dropped a rock on him to check out his consistency. His eyes were solid blue, im guessing from the water as well as cold.

Will this hurt my ducks after drinking it?
will it mess with the eggs that my duck is laying?

Last edited:
Yuck! I think though, your duck and eggs will be okay. I have seen my ducks dig around in mud and have the most fun in yucky puddles and ignore their clean baby pools. I personally wouldnt eat the eggs--but if she is setting on them I think they're ok. I am with you on having other people babysit--they never do a very good job.
he.gif
Good Luck!

If duck is not sick, I doubt she has any active infection. she may already have enough antibodies onboard from all of her previous foraging. Viruses do not usually cross into the egg membrane. The eggs she laid before the mouse took a swim are probably not affected at all.
I would disinfect watering container, just for peace of mind!
wink.png

I will, Its just really gross to think about, but then again i look at mice from quite a few different angles.

1. I love them becuase i have owned them as pets as well as currently own rats

2. I dont like them becuase they live under my duck hut and attract snakes

Im just hoping my mama doesnt get sick from it, She playing in the mud all the time but drinking from a dead mouse???? ... Makes a nauseas (sp)

Back
Top Bottom