Dead Pullet? Any Suggestions????

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by BlackAce, Jan 4, 2014.

1. BlackAce

BlackAce Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2013
    I had six pullets three of them are about 4 months old and the other two are a little over 6 months and 1 roo. I just went outside and checked on everyone in the coop and one of the younger pullets were dead. It was a recent death, she was still warm and rigamortis hadn't set yet. Also, with the cold she wasn't frozen. I have noticed that since I introduced them into the coop they seem like they haven't eaten much but they still are eating. I have been keeping an eye on them since I introduced them to the others three weeks ago. They seem to be doing fine no fighting between them and the other chickens. They seem to be healthy just not developing as fast as they were when I had them inside IMHO. The only thing I can thing of was it died from starvation but again it doesn't seem likely. No disease from I can see could have caused it. I don't want anymore to die anyone have any suggestions?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Are you sure that the established flock is allowing the new birds to eat? Try adding additional feeding and watering stations. Toss some feed into the pen/coop and see if the birds are allowed to get their share.

3. BlackAce

Jun 7, 2013
    They have all eaten together. I place feed in there tray and they are fine, that's why I'm thinking that starvation was unlikely

4. abbymckinn

abbymckinn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2013
    San Antonio, TX
    Could any animals have gotten in there? One time a dog got two of our hens, they just kinda chomped them to death.. :( they didn't even have any feathers missing or anything.

5. ChickenCurt

ChickenCurt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2014
    When I get unknown deaths I'll take them to the vet for a necropsy to check for any illnesses and if a learning vet/vet school/university is near it often doesn't cost or is very low because it is used for educating. Many times young chick just die because they're missing something in their immune system, genetically deficient or exposed to a draft (drafts can even kill adults in the winter as can being wet).
    Best to the rest of your flock.

6. BlackAce

Jun 7, 2013
    No animals got in there that I'm aware of. I checked her out and that was the first thing I looked for. I didn't see any marks, bites, peeking or anything trauma to her.

At night I have to put them away in the coop. They come out fine but they cant walk back up the run so every night I have to go and put them back in. I just went out there and I had one underneath the coop where they always go. I can't reach under there, so I get a piece of 2x4 and push them towards me so I can pick them up and put them into the coop sometimes they come closer cause they know it's bed time. Tonight I had one inside and the other was under the coop where the 3 young pullets would be ( all three were born the same time and one of those three had died this morning ). I went and pushed her towards me and when I did that she just fell on her side. I picked her up and she seemed fine. I placed her in the coop through the hatch door opening and she was on her side and just layed there for a few seconds. She had gotten up and went into the nest box with her other sibling. I know something isn't right with her now. Could it be to cold out there for them? I'm not fond of bringing them back inside but the wifey thinks they are to cold.

The two older pullets huddle together and I've seen the roo huddle with them too. The younger three pullets always huddle together for warmth but now there's two.

7. ChickenCurt

Jan 2, 2014
    Cold shouldn't be a problem for a healthy bird though many breeds aren't cold fairing. It only gets 10deg here but in the winter the coops are heated with a light bulb to keep water from freezing. Be sure the coop is draft free. I would take the odd acting bird a quarantine it in case it is more than cold or draft issue. Also, you may want to block off access under the coop for your sake as well as to discourage roosting/nesting underneath.

8. BlackAce

Jun 7, 2013
    I do have a window on the door of the coop, its a plexi glass folder window. I close the hatch at night and don't think there's a draft issue. The wind chill last night was -2 degrees last night. I don't think its a cold issue either. Well the wifey made me bring them in so we will see.

9. Cknldy

Cknldy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2012
    Appalachian mtns
    In the house? Can your wife come talk to my dh?!?! He fusses when I bring in any chicken, be it chick or grown! (I know what's coming before hand and only bring them in when absolutely necessary) I'm guessing if in the house it is at least 70° and you'll have to acclimate your chickens again before they go back out. Let us know what happens.

10. ChickenCurt

Jan 2, 2014
    LOL ChickenLady, I start all my birds inside for about three weeks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by