dead quail - please advise

prymly

In the Brooder
May 20, 2017
Hi I am new here so please be kind if this has been asked before ....
I have (had) three quail - all happy and each laying every day however for the past three days I have gone out in the morning and found one dead quail. On the first day I thought the other two must have killed the first but that is now not an option as the the last quail died last night in the same way - blood around neck. Also this time feathers around. The cage is off the ground - wooden sided and wire front - any ideas???

...only if it squeezed through the bars at the front - would a rat have killed just one a day? The birds were intact apart from the neck wound - as my quail always lay quite late there was also an egg there - would the rat have taken eggs?...

2.5 cm gap between bars....I will set a rat trap tonight but am not sure what to bait it with - maybe egg in saucer??? what do you think?

Rats and mice usually go in coops to eat the feed. I would try peanut butter with some feed stuck in it.
2.5 cm is like 1" ? that's easily big enough for a mouse.

...only if it squeezed through the bars at the front - would a rat have killed just one a day? The birds were intact apart from the neck wound - as my quail always lay quite late there was also an egg there - would the rat have taken eggs?...

unfortunately rats can squeeze through the bars and they can take eggs if there is nothing else. they stole eggs under my broody.

could it be weasel? they suck blood.

Rats and mice usually go in coops to eat the feed. I would try peanut butter with some feed stuck in it.
2.5 cm is like 1" ? that's easily big enough for a mouse.
yes, 1" - I will try the peanut butter with feed - trouble is there is never one rat is there?.....I am reluctant to use poison as my 3 year old grandson lives with me but am wondering how to manage this long term as I really would like to get more quail if I can

unfortunately rats can squeeze through the bars and they can take eggs if there is nothing else. they stole eggs under my broody.

could it be weasel? they suck blood.
I don't think it could be a weasel as I live City centre - however I suppose all things are possible??? I am beginning to accept that it must have been a rat - maybe there were more eggs that I just missed..

Back
Top Bottom