Dead round worm in poop. What do I deworm the entire flock with?

It does not, as you now can see. Nor will ACV do anything either.

I am not a fan of sand, I think it's harder to keep clean

The best way to prevent them is to prevent roaches, rats and earthworms.
They free range during the day. Not sure how to prevent roaches. We have the Palmetto bugs here everywhere. I thought they eat roaches.

They free range during the day. Not sure how to prevent roaches. We have the Palmetto bugs here everywhere. I thought they eat roaches.
The eating of roaches is what gives them roundworms.

So if you have a lot of roaches then you might want to consider deworming them regularly.

I would use the Safeguard paste on the one that pooped those worms, and any others that look sick. For the others, I would order Valbazen and use that on them.
The only one that is sick is the one that had the heavy mites infestation. The rest are acting normal, so I will do just that. I understand that Safeguard and Panacur are interchangeable, is that correct or I need to purchase Safeguard?
Thank you

The eating of roaches is what gives them roundworms.

So if you have a lot of roaches then you might want to consider deworming them regularly.
Our yard is not crawling with roaches and I mostly see them at night when the chickens are in the coop which is free of roaches. They are very common though for Florida. Yes after this incident I will consider deworming my flock regularly

The only one that is sick is the one that had the heavy mites infestation. The rest are acting normal, so I will do just that. I understand that Safeguard and Panacur are interchangeable, is that correct or I need to purchase Safeguard?
Thank you
They are interchangeable, both liquid and paste are fenbendazole 100 mg per ml. If I were you I would not treat the rest of the flock with Safeguard or Panacur, I would treat them with Valbazen instead.
https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=30e07949-7b6a-11d5-a192-00b0d0204ae5Bang for the buck, it's the way to go.

Last edited:
Actually roaches are more commonly a source of tapeworm. Roundworm is really easily picked up from the soil, and the Florida sandy soil and climate makes it a parasite breeding ground. I have to worm regularly, every 3 to 4 months for round worm in my flock. It's nearly impossible to completely eradicate it from your environment once it's there. Rotating pens/pastures, keeping droppings cleaned up as well as possible, keeping feeders and waterers clean, and monitoring and treating as necessary are your best bets to minimize it, and keep healthy birds. Keeping grass cut short, so the sun can hit the soil can help also. There are a lot of articles available on how to help reduce parasite loads, but getting rid of then totally is not really possible. I rotate Valbazen and Safeguard for regular worming, they both work very well at the proper doses, and rotating helps prevent breeding resistant parasites. If you ever have to treat for tapeworm (I've got all the same bugs and roaches/palmetto bugs are just part of Florida) then praziquantel is the best for that. I've not had tapes in my flock despite all the roaches.

Back
Top Bottom