Deadly chicken behavior

This really has my attention. The "unrecognizable to her flock mates" yes, and the unseasonable molt for sure. In thinking back when this all started and remember seeing a change in Buffy's behavior (one of a molting hen) and the fact that she stopped laying eggs (again, sign of a molt). Then, the feather loss and the feather dandruff. She wasn't sick, just starting a very different molt possibly. Don't know, but anything is possible. When the attacks with Cadbury started I think it is very possible this once strong hen (Buffy) was very different and poor Cad was confused with this imposter. Andi dies, same day Cadbury resumes egg laying, day after that all four hens are outdoors together (with me) and not one attack. Today, day #2 and same thing, not one attack. Buffy still shows signs of being very cautious but at least she doesn't run away completely. She has started dusting again and she looks and acts more like herself. Still a little skidish but I think what I'm seeing from my other EE Sage is some pecking order coming into play. Most likely due to the isolation and reintroducing her back to the flock.

Silly or not? Could Cadbury mistake Buffy for Andi? Crazy or not, the sudden change in the behavior has us miffed. Happy, but wondering what the heck?

I want to continue with these good days and work on getting Buffy back in the coop at night. Suggestions for doing this please as I don't want to ruin a good thing. Buffy does not go near the run and coop as she has found a new home in the duck run which neighbors the run with the 7 newbies. We are currently in the 10 day acclimating phase with them. She did not follow the other girls into the coop at dusk tonight rather she waited for me to come find her and she trots to her dog crate in the garage as always. I'm all for being patient with her and giving her time to get comfortable with them again before placing her in the coop at night. I have hope after these last two days
ya.gif

I am so glad to hear that Buffy is getting better! I think she may have been laying internally, starting to get bacterial infection but it was mitigated by the antibiotics. She was able to re-absorb the egg and is feeling better inside. This IT or EYP may be genetic, you may not want to breed Buffy. I don't think Cadbury is mistaking anyone for another. They know each other by face and voice. Buffy was sick, Cad knew it and maybe they just don't like each other. Since the molt is a fairly gradual one, I don't think it really plays into the issue with Cad. Buffy may have not wanted to have a lot of body contact while not feeling well and molting. The molting at least partially explains the stop in egg laying. She may recover fully like my EE and lay again when her molt is finished and her health returns to normal.
If you did not give the antibiotics to the other birds, Andi probably had IT or EYP and a secondary bacterial infection that wiped her out. Cad may be more appreciative of Buffy's presence now bc Andi is gone. (safety in numbers and Cad knows there is one less in the flock, chickens can count and they understand death). Buffy may be preferring to be in the new flock bc she and Cad cannot get along. (hence hanging with the ducks to be near the new birds). It's good that Buffy is bathing again, trying to clean up the dead skin and feather sheathes. I think you have indeed rescued her! Let Buffy choose which flock and where to sleep for now. Once the garage is empty of birds, she will not want to be in there alone and will choose to roost with the most welcoming, accepting flock.
smile.png
celebrate.gif

She still has not come out of her sleeping box in the dog crate, most mornings she waits for me to do some coaxing. Yesterday wasn't as good a day out in the yard with Cadbury. There was a little chasing and Buffy really reverted and showed signs of not wanting to be outside with them. Thanks for asking!

She still has not come out of her sleeping box in the dog crate, most mornings she waits for me to do some coaxing. Yesterday wasn't as good a day out in the yard with Cadbury. There was a little chasing and Buffy really reverted and showed signs of not wanting to be outside with them. Thanks for asking!

Poor girl! I guess they just don't like each other. Maybe Buffy will be happy in the flock of new birds....update sometime?
smile.png

I sure hope with time it will all work out. Maybe the new flock will be good for everyone (or a distraction) as they will ALL be rooming together soo. There will be the option of two coops so we will see where Buffy ends up. You can count on an update from me!

Things seem to be reverting back to the bad behavior. Just this morning after putting Buffy outside with the 3 other hens Cadbury attacked Buffy at the bottom of the hill. She got away but not with much of a fight, she ran up to the top of the hill and then Sage attacked her in the same fashion. Pinning her to the ground by her neck, with no pecking just a very vicious pin down. Cora was in the nesting box and not present, she has not shown any type of discord towards Buffy. This brought me back to when you had said if Buffy is still too weak or sick the others will start joining in to hurt her. Does EYP constitute an illness in the eyes of another chicken or do they just know when there is a weakness whether or not it is from sickness? So, I guess my question has to do with if Cadbury does want to cull Buffy, and now I see it happening with Sage would this only be due to her being sick whether it is EYP, some unknown reason or could it be just out of sheer loathing for her. Now that Sage is showing aggression this may change things.

I've been medicating everyone's water but I still worry about having Buffy share feeders and water with the new chicks and ducks. How long can I possibly keep her isolated? Buffy acts as if she wants to be in with the new chicks and when I do let her in for a visit (like yesterday) she eats some food, puffs up her neck feathers and will peck at them of course. I don't allow the visits to be very long but I want her to have interaction and not be a lonely chicken.

I'm so frustrated and just want to cry....
barnie.gif

Things seem to be reverting back to the bad behavior. Just this morning after putting Buffy outside with the 3 other hens Cadbury attacked Buffy at the bottom of the hill. She got away but not with much of a fight, she ran up to the top of the hill and then Sage attacked her in the same fashion. Pinning her to the ground by her neck, with no pecking just a very vicious pin down. Cora was in the nesting box and not present, she has not shown any type of discord towards Buffy. This brought me back to when you had said if Buffy is still too weak or sick the others will start joining in to hurt her. Does EYP constitute an illness in the eyes of another chicken or do they just know when there is a weakness whether or not it is from sickness? So, I guess my question has to do with if Cadbury does want to cull Buffy, and now I see it happening with Sage would this only be due to her being sick whether it is EYP, some unknown reason or could it be just out of sheer loathing for her. Now that Sage is showing aggression this may change things.

I've been medicating everyone's water but I still worry about having Buffy share feeders and water with the new chicks and ducks. How long can I possibly keep her isolated? Buffy acts as if she wants to be in with the new chicks and when I do let her in for a visit (like yesterday) she eats some food, puffs up her neck feathers and will peck at them of course. I don't allow the visits to be very long but I want her to have interaction and not be a lonely chicken.

I'm so frustrated and just want to cry....
barnie.gif

I would repeat post 51 for now. Buffy, if recovering from bacterial infection and IT, is not up to par yet, The other possibility is that since she has been mostly absent from the flock, Cad and Sage my be doing the muscle work for Cora (if she is top bird). What I mean is, they are telling her, her place in the order. Pinning her is dominance. If there is no injurious pecking, kicking, etc. you may just have to let them stay together and work it out. On the other hand, you could wait until the new birds are about as big as Buffy and then let her live with them. At some point, she has to be in one flock or the other. Pecking orders must be formed, they sometimes change, and you cannot stop that, or keep separating birds for physical squabbles, unless a good amount blood is drawn. Little comb and wattle tears, peck marks on comb, wattles and face are typical of ordering or re-ordering a flock. Even the pinning and mounting can be part of the deal. Over time, (a few weeks usually) it should stop once everyone accepts their place and respects each other. You may see Buffy hide in a corner for most of a day, it's part fear and part submission.
If you really can't stand it, and the new birds have already been exposed to her, let her live with them when they are big enough. The IT and or EYP is specific to her and as long as she does not have a bacterial infection, she cannot infect the other birds. The short supervised visits with the new flock are fine and as the new birds grow the visits can get longer until eventually they can stay together all the time.
smile.png

I wanted to give an update having to do with Buffy and I think it is safe to say she has settled back in to the flock. In mid May I rejoined her at night in the coop with a watchful eye of course. Shortly after the 4 old girls were moved in with the 10 youngsters. It seems Cadbury likes to intimidate more than just Buffy now which may have been a life saver. We have two coops in which all 14 hens have access to and Cadbury has been known to sleep in both coops where as the other chickens don't move from coop to coop. Maybe this is an indicator that she is at the top of the pecking order. Poor Buffy has yet to start laying eggs again, it has been since late February that we have seen an egg from her. All is well with the Morton chicks and I am very happy Buffy is still with us.

Back
Top Bottom