Deadly Respitory Illness

portiaraylee

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 27, 2010
Winamac, IN
I have a deadly respitory illness wiping out my flock. I have cleaned the coop, separated the sick from the healthy, but still, whenever one shows symptoms, it is dead within 24 hours. Starts with droopy wings and head/lethargy. I immediately treat with vet rx, they are treated with antibiotic water as well and I recently started another waterer with electrolytes. Just doesn't make a difference. By the time the symptoms show, they slowly suffocate to death. What is this? Do I need an injectable antibiotic? These birds are polish and are about 4 months old. Please help!!

Could you describe the symptoms? You say it is respiratory, so do they have any sneezing, nasal or eye discharge, and swelling of the face or eyes, any bubbles inside the eye, or rattly breathing? How are their droppings--any diarrhea or blood? What antibiotic are they on?

This sounds terrible, but this sounds most like it: Infectious Laryngotracheitis tho I seen no blood coming from the trachea - and they acted like they were choking when they died.... :(

Also this one sounded like it, but I have cleaned the coop, no dead birds today: Aspergillosis.......but I am more leaning toward the Infectious Laryngotracheitis - where can I get the vaccine? And at what age can I administer?

I can't find a vaccine for sale online for ILT. Jeffers Livestock online has many vaccines. Your need to have one tested to be sure of what you have. Sometimes there are two or more diseases going on.

Back
Top Bottom