deads

I have the temp. at 70 degrees. The chicks still hang out near the sides. My heat lamp is the only heat source and it's only on twice a day. Some of the chicks go under the lamp when it's on but most stay at the sides. They are 2 weeks and 2 days old today and I'm afraid if it's too cold they will freeze. They stopped doing the panting thing and no more are dying but I don't know what to do. I think that if I leave the lamp on over school or night it will get too hot and they will start dying again. But if I leave it off it will get too cold and they will freeze. It is my first year with my own chickens and I'm determined to keep the rest alive. I've lost 17 chicks already. I have given them water twice a day. They have eaten 2 big bags of food already and it's a lot even for 162 chickens. I bought 150 cornish cross giants and 12 egg laying chickens called browns.

I think they should have access to food/ water at all times.

Do you have the box set up so that the heat source is at one end so that they can move away from it if they need to?

What wattage bulb? What size brooder box? How high is the bulb?

You have a very large number of chicks to start with as a beginner, with much more requirements for facilities, space, bedding, feed, care, etc. Are they in a barn? How much space are you providing per chick? You would surely need much more than one heat lamp? I am a newbee, but it sounds like very basic requirements are not being met. Did you read the information on his site in the Learning Center on raising chickens 101?

Perhaps if you posted your location or went to your local county extension agent, farm bureau, references at farm store, 4-H, etc. you could get some emergency hands-on help creating a setup where the temperature is correct, each chick has good 24x7 access to water and feed, etc. With that many chicks, you may have ammonia fumes building up unless you are diligent about cleaning, providing fresh bedding and good ventilation.

If you think they eat a lot at two weeks... hope you have a pickup truck! Good luck to you and your wards.

It's hard to say what is going on without seeing your setup.

Do you have enough feeders and waterers? Especially waterers, make sure they are all drinking.

Are you feeding a medicated starter feed to guard against cocci?

Do you have enough ventilation? Don't put them in a too tightly closed area, especially with that many birds. Your heat lamp can overheat the area and ammonia fumes can build up. Plenty of ventilation is needed. As long as they have a draft guard and a heat lamp to warm up to they will be fine even in a rather cold room. I've brooded chicks on a screened back porch in 50 degree weather with a cold wind whipping through the porch at times. They had a 2 foot tall draft guard and the heat lamp was placed by the guidance above.

I have all heat sources tooken out its at 70 and they like it but they heat it their selves so i opened the door so it cool down and everythings fine

Back
Top Bottom