Dealing with a mean tom

Aacre

Songster
6 Years
Jan 9, 2014
Western Slope, Colorado
Hi all!
This weekend, I am receiving a friend's flock of chickens for free, and the stipulation is that we have to also take their tom turkey. He is a black Spanish turkey. The reason they want to get rid of him is that he is very mean and will attack them any time they try to go into the coop. I haven't met this turkey in person yet, but I want to be prepared as much as I can. My husband and I plan to keep the tom until closer to thanksgiving, when we can butcher him. That is a ways off, and I want to know what I can do to care for this mean guy. Is there a way I can possibly change his behavior? I'm not that knowledgeable on turkeys, so any tips and advice are much appreciated! I would consider keeping this turkey for life if the behavior can be changed to a more mellow and friendly attitude.

Well, if it were mel, I'd be butchering that turkey out NOW and plop his meanness into the freezer for Thanksgiving. Your chickens will thank you I'm sure.

Honestly? I have never had any turkeys before, but I have had the meanest roosters that have walked the earth (Lakenvelders). Firstly, moving him to your coop will be really stressful for him. He may act differently than normal. He may be shy or aggressive. If he hasn't been in with chickens before, you may want to introduce him gradually and watch to see what he does. If he is aggressive towards you, there are two ways to reduce attacks besides isolating him where he can't attack you. 1. Always keep your eye on him. Don't turn your back, or he may sneak up on you. 2. Carry something with you, like a stick or a shovel. I have this piece of rebar that is my personal favorite, but I don't have to use it anymore because my chickens behave themselves. We once had this rooster that would attack us, but after my dad whacked him with a snow shovel he didn't bother us ever again. Let him know that you are the boss, not him. When you are in his area, do your work quickly, but don't run if he walks up to you, because he will sense victory and chase after you. If he is a big tom, he may run slow so use that to your advantage. I'm not sure if turkeys have spurs, but if they do trim a little bit off when they get too long. Hope this helps!

I do this to my mean roosters and it works when he try's to attack u show him who is boss kick him hard and then he would know to to mess with you it might work with a turkey to

Well, if it were mel, I'd be butchering that turkey out NOW and plop his meanness into the freezer for Thanksgiving. Your chickens will thank you I'm sure.
I don't plan on letting him free range with the chickens. He is with 9 chickens now (the ones I'm getting in the deal), and he is very mean to them, so I know I can't trust him around chickens for the time being, if ever. I like to give the mean ones a fair chance, especially when they are coming from somewhere else. Maybe there is something going on that the friends aren't aware of, like not enough space, or being lonely as far as turkeys go.
Thank you for the advice, everyone. I am taking into account all of it. I have dealt with mean roosters before, I guess I just worry that a bigger bird won't be as easy to intimidate/train as a rooster is! :)

I had a mean male burbon once you show them who is boss once or twice they usually leave you alone but if that doesn't work leave him in his pen for a day or two or even a couple makes sure he has food and water, we showed ours who was boss and he left us alone but he tryed to attack the
UPS man so we kept him in his pen and started to get better! I hope I help
1f603.png

I had a mean male burbon once you show them who is boss once or twice they usually leave you alone but if that doesn't work leave him in his pen for a day or two or even a couple makes sure he has food and water, we showed ours who was boss and he left us alone but he tryed to attack the
UPS man so we kept him in his pen and started to get better! I hope I help
1f603.png
Thanks! I will probably keep him penned up for a while to acclimate him to the surroundings and new environment. I hope he becomes happier out here. I'm trying to convince my husband to give him a good chance. I would really like to keep him, even past thanksgiving because I think turkeys are really neat.
That sucks that your's tried to attack the UPS man- I thought dogs only did that! lol!

Thanks! I will probably keep him penned up for a while to acclimate him to the surroundings and new environment. I hope he becomes happier out here. I'm trying to convince my husband to give him a good chance. I would really like to keep him, even past thanksgiving because I think turkeys are really neat.
That sucks that your's tried to attack the UPS man- I thought dogs only did that! lol!
Ya lol

Back
Top Bottom