Dealing with a traffic ticket

Fowl_Odor002

Songster
8 Years
Jul 5, 2011
Mostly Here
Passing on a double solid yellow line (eventhough the big produce truck had it's emergency lights on and was driving on the shoulder)

so i am going to court because i get no pleasure from sending them my money
also, i want to make sure the cop does not sleep in on his day off

if he misses court, i plan to take the money i was to pay for the ticket and buying chicken feed

how would you handle this?

That’s a strange cop that would get you for that. Maybe behind quota, an enthusiastic rookie, or has he met you before? Did you do something to his wife, girlfriend, or both? Seriously, that ought to be a warning at most unless you have some sort or record when he ran your license or tag number.

I’d check to see if you are going to have to pay any additional court costs if you show up, versus just paying it, before I made a final decision. Then once you know the possible consequences of showing up, is it worth it to you? And decide who it will aggravate more if you show up, you or them.

I have never heard of additional court costs being levied for answering a summons. Generally you are a lot better off to go to court than not. Even if you plead guilty the fine is usually less than what is stated on the ticket. Sometimes a lot less. . You may have to go to court twice for this. Once to plead not guilty and then again for the hearing or trial. I hope you do this. From what you say, the officer overstepped his bounds. If he has to show up in court himself, he may be less likely to do so in the future.

Passing on a double yellow is against the law. Doesn't matter how slow the other driver was going. So, the cop wasn't over stepping his bounds as the law is written. Unfortunately, common sense doesn't always apply to the laws. Judge will just tell you you should have followed until it was safe to pass.. blah blah blah. Good luck fighting that ticket.

I would weigh the cost vs chances to win vs my time to fight it and go from there. Everyone is different

Last edited:
If the vehicle in question had his emergency flashers on and was driving on the shoulder, which the OP says he was, in most jurisdictions you are free to go around. The OP would have a good case in court. One thing the judge would consider is how slow the crippled vehicle was traveling.

I say, Good for you! Sometimes these cops think they know everything! Best of luck, and hope he doesn't show, so you can go out and buy your chicken feed!
thumbsup.gif

You goofed. You're guilty. Sorry, it is a crappy situation. To keep it off your insurance record, you can ask for deferred adjudication. It is up to the judge if he/she wants to grant it or not. You pay the fine and don't get another ticket for 3-6 months and it doesn't hit your record.

Or google nolo contendere for your state.

I gave up fighting traffic tickets, they added a "hearing fee" of 300.00 for all tickets in massachusetts. Even if you win your still out the 300.00.

Back
Top Bottom