Dealing with an abusive Rooster

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Blackburn, May 21, 2010.

1. Blackburn

Blackburn New Egg

Apr 18, 2010
    Indiana County, PA
    It's been quite a few years since I had chickens but after recently buying a small farm my Son talked me into it. I started out only wanting a few Barred Rocks and now we have 13 Barred Rocks(11 hens 2 Roosters) 12 New Hampshire Reds purchased as straight run and 4 appear to roosters and 10 mixed black bantams. The bantams were Tractor Supply specials and although they all appeared to be the same breed I'm now sure I have at least 3 if not 4 different breeds about half of which are roosters. The bantams are about 2 weeks older than the others which are 6 weeks old. I intended to keep both barred rock roosters and at least one of the New Hampshires with hopes that the primary breeder would be a barred rock.

Well a few days ago one of the barred rock roosters started picking on the bantams excessively, he is the Rooster I'd like to keep but don't want a bully. He pecks at the back of the head mostly and it seems to really hurt them and he singles out the bantams in general not caring if it be a hen or a rooster. The pen they are currently in is about 160sq.ft. areas of bright and dark lighting, plenty of food, water and clean bedding. I am just finishing the outdoor run and it measures 25'x40' attatched to a 12'x16' coop the birds will free range daily also. Because I want to free range them a good bit and we have so many predators I was planning on several roosters for patrolmen. I was hoping that being raised together would keep relative peace amongst the roosters. The enclosures also seem plenty big for a peaceful flock.

So to get to the question, would a bit of solitary confinement help cure this largest Barred Rock rooster who just happens to be the best looking of the bunch also. Seems if I would cull him from the flock I would be getting rid of the best genetics.
    Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Dave

2. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    some chickens just don't get along with others... unless you have a free range/ huge run, I'm afraid you'll have some serious decision to make soon depending on what is your primary aim for the next season.......

Last edited: May 21, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by