Dealing with an ant supercolony stinks...

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by classicsredone, Jul 4, 2011.

1. classicsredone

classicsredone Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Sacramento County, CA
    I'm pretty sure we're on top of an ant super colony. There is a giant super colony running down most of California, and it is a PAIN to keep them in check. During the summer they are all over everything in the yard, and in the winter they swarm trying to get in the house. Now they're circling the chicken tractor, but don't seem to be going in. Are there any safe methods of controlling them around the chickens?

2. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't know about anybody elses birds but my RIRs will throw down to get the big carpenter ants we have, they love em

3. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    Let the chickens out and you won't have an ant problem. Just have a camera handy. Sit back and watch the fun.

4. Patricia Jane

Patricia Jane Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2010
    Petaluma CA
    My girls can't be bothered with them. I wish they did, I have them everywhere. I'm in California too.

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    We have the fire ants. My birds don't touch them. I have to be careful where I walk (I live in my sandals and never wear shoes) and those darn ants attack my feet.

6. leonphelps

leonphelps Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Bucks County PA
    try a product called terra. works great. borax/sugar mix. ants love it all the way back to the nest then terminate.

7. ScouterJoe

ScouterJoe Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2011
    If it's got 6 or 8 legs my girls will pounce. Then they'll keep scratching looking for more. I live to far north for fire ants. Thanks goodness

8. la dee da

la dee da Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    Virginia
    Have you tried gunieas? Our nieghbor had them and they kept our 2 acres + our neighbors virtually free of ticks and other insect pests (they started with three, then got several more). They ate an entire colony of termites in our woods, too.

9. Love my Critters!

Love my Critters! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Carlsbad, NM
    I too am interested. My good-for-nothin' chickens don't eat ants either. They will sit there while ants carry off their food! I don't know what kind I have, but they are the really big ones that are black/marroon colored.

Wanted to add that I had guineas and they are LOUD! I also still had ants...

Last edited: Jul 5, 2011
  10. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    I mix boric acid and powdered sugar. About 2/3 sugar to 1/3 boric acid, which you can buy in any pharmacy.

I put a spoonful of that mixture at the mouth of the ant nest. If it is an area where my pets can access it, I put a little portable fence or a cage around it. It takes a week or two to wipe out the nest.

I haven't tried it on fire ants, don't know how it would work.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by