dealing with feed when laying chickens and turkeys free-range

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by bkvail, Jun 11, 2009.

1. bkvail

bkvail Songster

I have 4 free-range turkeys and 4 free- range chickens. My chickens prefer the turkey feed, and are not eating enough of their layer feed - and one chicken laid a soft-shell egg yesterday. How do others deal with the feed requirement differences when you free-range chickens and turkeys both?

2. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Songster

Feb 1, 2009
    Lexington, KY
    I have goats which LOVE my chicken feed, so I lock my chickens up when I feed them once in the middle of the day, and they have their feed when I lock them up at night. Can you lock your turkeys up occasionally to feed them?

3. bkvail

bkvail Songster

Quote:the only place I have to lock them in at - the chickens can (and do) fly into.

4. dbone

dbone In the Brooder

Quote:can you roof it, or clip their wings?

5. bkvail

bkvail Songster

Quote:can you roof it, or clip their wings?

not possible to roof it, and I want them to be able to fly up to their roost at night (that is in the fenced area that they fly into).

I hear others saying they feed their layers oyster shell? Is that for the calcium and do they LIKE it where if I were to put it inside their enclosure that they fly into to lay eggs and to roost, will they eat it (that way the turkeys couldn't get it).

6. Poupoulles

Poupoulles Songster

Jul 17, 2007
    Mayberry (really!)
    Oystershell is good, I also feed my chickens their own eggshells. Some people say this encourages egg eating, but I have not seen it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: