Dealing with frozen water

wink.png
its always helps to have an electrician for a DH
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
I am doing the same thing, but I insulated the bottom and sides of the cookie tin with reflective bubble wrap, which allowed me to use a 25w bulb!

I haven't had the waterer freeze on me yet, and we went down to -40C here.

So, cookie tin heater is basically constructed as follows:

1. Buy cookie tin with cookies
lg-cookie_tin.jpg

2. Enjoy cookies
3. Buy a bulb housing, power cord and a wall plug, and reflective bubble insulation.
4. Drill small hole (side of the power cord) on the side, pull the power cord through
5. attach the bulb housing to the exposed ends of the power cord you just pulled thru.
6. cut out and glue down the insulation on the bottom and side of the tin
7. Attach the bulb housing to the bottom (use a wood block + screw) or anything of the sort
8. Install bulb, test, put lid back on and enjoy non-frozen water!

Hope this helps. I have done 2 thus far and the material bill including cookies was <$8 each.

Tom

I was talking to my friend the other day about the cookie can water heater. We decided to build one, it took about a half hour to do. WE bought a light socket at Home Depot and installed it in the can and it seems to be nice and firm in the can so it won't move around. Now I and just waiting for a real cold night and I understand tonight is going to get to 18 here in Pa. We will see what happens. Thanks to all for helping me get info on this heater. Also we have it pluged into a timer no need to have it on when it is over freezing during the day and it get pretty warm in the girls coop. I had a 40 watt bulb and a cord so the whole project cost was $3.00.
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom