Dealing with hardware cloth

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by debid, Feb 16, 2013.

1. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    OK, experienced run builders... I need to construct a run for my juvie coop. I have used hardware cloth before but only in small pieces (nothing bigger than a shed window).

I'm wondering -- would it be easier to build it in modular panels so I can attach wire to a frame flat on the ground and then screw all the panels together? I'm guessing that working vertically might be harder. What useful hints can you give?

2. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    I've done it both ways and think it's pretty easy either way. The trick I use is to use a Arrow stapler with 5/8" or 9/16" staples to temporarily hold it in place then, go back and staple it every 3 or 4 inches all the way around with 3/4" electrical staples. The electric staples work great and looks nice.

1 person likes this.
  3. cochickencoops

cochickencoops New Egg

Feb 16, 2013
    I build coops for a living and I definitely advise building the frames on the ground or on a table. The way that I do it is roll the wire out and staple it to the frame all the way around and then cut the wire with a grinder and a metal cutting disk. A dremel tool would also work with a cutoff disc. You end up bleeding a lot less than if you use wire cutters and cut it to size before stapling:) Be sure to wear safety glasses because it costs about $800 to have a tiny spec of metal removed from your eyeball. ( Found out the hard way) After the wire is stapled and cut to size I cover it with a piece of 1/4 x 1 1/2 inch wood strip to protect the birds from the ends of the wire. Hope that helps.

2 people like this.
  4. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    Just want to put in a good word for Pro-Grade model 15408 wire cutters. Quick and painless (always wear gloves, anyway) for both welded wire and hardware cloth. No comparison to the PITA `cutting' methods I subjected both the materials and myself to, initially. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. debid

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    I have a number of cutters of assorted types. One looks like the type shown above, there is a Dremel tool, a pair of long-handled cutters I used on the chain-link, and an angle grinder. I think we have cutting covered. We have an air gun with staple option so I'm guessing that would work for the tacking? If I use strips to sandwich the edges and screw those in place, do I need to use the heavier staples too or are the tacking staples plus strips enough? And I agree -- safety glasses and leather work gloves will be used, absolutely. Metal in the eye sounds just horrible!

6. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    debid, I expect the staple folks can help out. Have only used wood screws and washers to attach cloth to window frames/vents of coop/turkey shed, and heavy duty, UV resistant, zip ties to attach panels to sides of chain link dog pen in order to construct quick digs for a mean broody turkey hen that had appropriated a patch of day lilies.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  7. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    I build my coop in pieces. Then i made a frame that fits right into the area where the hardware cloth. i staple the hwc onto the frame. The frame gets another frame on to of it to sandwich the hwc in between. Then i fasten the whole thing into its place with my pneumatic staple gun and/or screws.

1 person likes this.
  8. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Just want to repeat the Wear Gloves part

1 person likes this.
  9. I staple to my framed sections, then install sections together. I staple every 4th square to make it straight & solid. You can visit my page to see. I use pneumatic staplers with 1/2 in staples.

1 person likes this.
  10. debid

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    OH, I bet a broody turkey is a force to be reckoned with!

Thanks everyone!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by