Dealing with Poop

LOL.....Too Funny about your two birds!! They sure are characters aren't they? Your African Grey in your avatar looks really healthy. I know that many "Greys" can start plucking their feathers if not cared for properly. You sure take good care of your birds. :)

And yes, I can sympathize with you, taking birds on vacation!! My hubby used to freak out something horrible when we took the birds on a trip with us. LOL...I keep Cockatiels and Lovebirds. Every inch of the car was stuffed with cages full of birds. LOL When we used to travel, (can't anymore due to the quail and chickens) back then I had 4 Cockatiels and 4 Lovebirds. The Cockatiels loved to travel but the Lovebirds hated it. Cages clanking, birds chattering. Hauling cages all around. LOL

That was a long time ago. Now I only have one male Cockatiel and one female Lovebird. The Cockatiel is 17 years old and the Lovebird is 12 years old.

And yes, you CANNOT keep kleenex boxes, important papers, bills, homework, fruit, or even furniture anywhere near these birds! LOL It's like you have to think first before you leave something somewhere...."hmmm....will a bird eat this, or worse, poop on it, if I leave this here???.... LOL...LOL (Lovebirds poop every 3 minutes, I swear).

LOL.....Too Funny about your two birds!! They sure are characters aren't they? Your African Grey in your avatar looks really healthy. I know that many "Greys" can start plucking their feathers if not cared for properly. You sure take good care of your birds. :)

And yes, I can sympathize with you, taking birds on vacation!! My hubby used to freak out something horrible when we took the birds on a trip with us. LOL...I keep Cockatiels and Lovebirds. Every inch of the car was stuffed with cages full of birds. LOL When we used to travel, (can't anymore due to the quail and chickens) back then I had 4 Cockatiels and 4 Lovebirds. The Cockatiels loved to travel but the Lovebirds hated it. Cages clanking, birds chattering. Hauling cages all around. LOL

That was a long time ago. Now I only have one male Cockatiel and one female Lovebird. The Cockatiel is 17 years old and the Lovebird is 12 years old. 

And yes, you CANNOT keep kleenex boxes, important papers, bills, homework, fruit, or even furniture anywhere near these birds! LOL It's like you have to think first before you leave something somewhere...."hmmm....will a bird eat this, or worse, poop on it, if I leave this here???.... LOL...LOL  (Lovebirds poop every 3 minutes, I swear). 

Lol reminds me of the Gerald Durrel books I read as a child. Funny! A car full of birds.
I had a cockatiel as a child who used to nibble all the way round my mothers bowls of roses, then scuttle away to the other end of the table and pretend it wasnt him. Hilarious
He also repeatedly fell in the sink trying to walk on the soap bubbles. ?

That's what we did years ago when we had quail. Hay or straw on the bottom of the coop and under it. And just turn in for a week then into the compost pile.

Quote: Cute!
lol.png

And yes, I can sympathize with you, taking birds on vacation!! My hubby used to freak out something horrible when we took the birds on a trip with us. LOL...I keep Cockatiels and Lovebirds. Every inch of the car was stuffed with cages full of birds. LOL When we used to travel, (can't anymore due to the quail and chickens) back then I had 4 Cockatiels and 4 Lovebirds. The Cockatiels loved to travel but the Lovebirds hated it. Cages clanking, birds chattering. Hauling cages all around. LOL 17 years and 12 years old-- you must have some happy birds. That's really great that they have lived so long.

That was a long time ago. Now I only have one male Cockatiel and one female Lovebird. The Cockatiel is 17 years old and the Lovebird is 12 years old.

And yes, you CANNOT keep kleenex boxes, important papers, bills, homework, fruit, or even furniture anywhere near these birds! LOL It's like you have to think first before you leave something somewhere...."hmmm....will a bird eat this, or worse, poop on it, if I leave this here???.... LOL...LOL (Lovebirds poop every 3 minutes, I swear).

So cute that you also took your birds with you on vacation! :) Jackie almost never poops on me but Stormy seems to save it up just for my shirt. They are so smart! Neither of them is a plucker, thank goodness. That would be so hard to deal with. I adopted a plucking conure but she died just two days later. It must have been a health problem.

We have two male cockatiels, too. They belong to my teenaged daughter and they whistle some tunes. I love having birdies around, both wild (we have a nice feeding station) and domestic. The quail just add to the fun mix.

I was thinking about what to do with the quail for vacations. We don't go very often. I would probably just hire a pet sitter.

Last edited:
Yes, going on vacation is a thing of the past around here. LOL Just too many indoor and outdoor critters to take care of. And I just don't know anyone that is willing to drive out into the middle of nowhere, risk their lives on our 3 mile wash/ravine like road and do it every day to take care of this zoo of animals. LOL So we stay home.

But I am with you on this, having birds around. I have always been obsessed with birds since I was 2 years old. I just have to have birds around me all the time or I think I would go insane. LOL

The quail are so popular in the neighbourhood, no problem for me to get neighbours to look after them, and they love getting the eggs in exchange...

Getting back to the topic, I have experimented the last 2 days with letting the poop fall through wire onto newspapers below. It stunk so I sprinkled some baking soda based scented carpet powder on top of it-- just a little-- and amazingly even 12 hours later it drastically reduced the odor. I left the upper roost area filled with sawdust for them so they can have fun with that. Still trying new things but for ease of care the open wire seems easiest. It also seems the easiest for egg collection when they start laying.

And thank goodness we don't have rats. Occasional field mice and scorpions is all.

I didn't read all the posts so if this was suggested I apologize. I put just Live stock drying powder or lime or "stabel boy" on the boards under the 1/2" wire mesh I had the same issue of the poop stcking to the boards but since doing this no issue. I also have a dust bath full of sand in the middle of the cage so they all have to walk through it tracking it around. Not to mention the amount of sand thrown around when they dust them selves. This keeps the poop from sticking and I find the lime and constant sand poured on top of the poop stops the smell.

Back
Top Bottom