Dealing with the run

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by saltnprepper, Feb 2, 2012.

1. saltnprepper

saltnprepper Chillin' With My Peeps

Im not sure how to deal with ground in the run area. We have the coop on the grass area and there is a bare area that is usually moist. (Its washington it rains a lot) So The ground is getting a bit yucky. I have used the hose and power nozzle in the past to kind of wash the poop and debris away but I am wondering if I should put down something in that area. We are renting so I dont want to put a lot of cost into something I will have to remove and trash when we leave. I also just put together a tractor (the pcv part) to move them about on nice days this may lessen the amount of manure in that area. I only have 3 chickens. So what should I do??? If I do hose it off its usually in the evening just before dark, I shoo them into the coop and wash it down so its not completely soaked in the morning when they go out.

Heres a photo

[​IMG]

2. Tressa27884

Tressa27884 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2011
    East Bay, Ca.
    You could use triple sifted pine, corn cob bedding, or do like the golfers do and make a sand seed mixture and put it in the area after you move the tractor.

3. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    I'd put down a layer of sand and call it good
    Washing it down with a hose just assures nothing will grow back until you stop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by