Dear cot quail: You cannot fly like the wind....

Discussion in 'Quail' started by RunningRabbit, Nov 10, 2012.

1. RunningRabbit

RunningRabbit Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2012
    ...which is why you hit the ground.

One of my cots decided that it could soar like an eagle, and flapped out of my brooder. Only to land with a very solid sounding thump on the floor mere seconds later. I picked him up and he puked on me. [​IMG]

He's acting normal; eating and drinking as usual, walking just fine, but should I be concerned?

That fall to the ground, no matter how much graceless flapping accompanied it, had to have hurt. When I put him back in, he was acting like he still wanted to puke. That lasted only a moment or two, then he quit doing it.

2. Lopi1234

Lopi1234 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 8, 2012
    I don't have an answer, but I would just watch him. My little quail that hatched a week ago was galloping around the brooder. Every once in awhile he would jump up in the air flapping his wings...little maniac...yours too. Hope the little guy is ok.

3. RunningRabbit

Oct 10, 2012
    The general consensus here, is that he didn't think enough happy thoughts. (CURSE YOU PE-TAH PAN! For teaching my quails that they can fly!)

I will keep an eye on him the rest of the night ([​IMG]insomnia finally pays off!). Hopefully, he doesn't get it back in his noggin to try that again.

4. frigginchi

frigginchi Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2012
    Saratoga, CA
    I remember when I did a belly flop off the diving board. I puked too :)

5. RunningRabbit

Oct 10, 2012
    Well, he's still alive and looking at me like I'm the devil incarnate.

Good thing he's known as "Jerk-bird", so my feelings aren't hurt from him doing that. [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 11, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by