Death and a dilemma, what would you do?

Dingo

Songster
9 Years
Apr 29, 2010
Somewhere near Springfield, Ma
Two weeks ago my italian rooster(Giovanni) decided he had too many girls and maimed the pharaoh hen that was with him. This was the second time I'd found her bloody, and the first time I had seen him actively attacking her. So she came out, has mostly recovered and is doing well. Tonight I found Thrill Seeker, one of Giovanni's english white hens dead. I believe she had boinked, her beak was broken her body was stiff but her neck was slightly limp. That leaves Giovanni and Noni. I prefer to keep them in trios or quads And I dont think Noni would be happy dealing with Giovanni's affection by herself..
I could swap out a hen from Bobby's colony but I'd have to kill Giovanni if he even looked at those girls cross eyed. I could remove Giovanni and keep the Pharaoh and Noni together. Or I could reintroduce the pharaoh and hope he doesn't go for blood a third time.
What would you guys do?

Depends on your priorities, of course.

If it were me Giovanni would be coq au vin a la Itallien. And I wouldn't expose a hen to a rooster that had abused her twice. The other choice would be get several extra hens to put with that rooster in hopes that he would diffuse his enthusiam, but NOT the one that he injured (Not ever).

Depends on your priorities, of course.  

If it were me Giovanni would be coq au vin a la Itallien.  And I wouldn't expose a hen to a rooster that had abused her twice.  The other choice would be get several extra hens to put with that rooster in hopes that he would diffuse his enthusiam, but NOT the one that he injured (Not ever). 

I gotta agree here. It sux but in the end, the mean ones truly do taste better! In my experiance, once one gets scalped, took out and healed up. The odds of a successful reunion are pretty low. Their status in the flock is lost if they had any to start with... Good luck, Bill

Last edited:
The only reason I'm planning on keeping Giovanni is because I really wanted an Italian and he's the only one that hatched. It's not a common color around here.
The weird thing about the Pharaoh hen is he didn't even scalp her he was biting her chest and the sides of her neck. The only blood on her head was on her beak from her running the wire of the cage to get away. I think I'll try to reintroduce the pharaoh to Noni as she's a calm good natured hen, and remove Giovanni. They should all be safe then.
Thanks for the input.

Last edited:
You know, this may sound crazy....but if you really want to save this bird for what ever reason, you can always keep him by himself. I once had a Bobwhite male that was insane. He tried to kill the females, the males, and the only bird crazy enough to be his mate, he bit the toes nearly off her feet!!

BUT...I wanted to keep this boy because not only was he a very pretty specimen, but he was quite entertaining. Loved his calls and the screams he let out on a daily basis. LOL. He would come when called and would eat from my hand. This boy was insane, but he was friendly to me. So, unfortunately he had to be caged. I gave him rather large digs, set up with an upper deck, posts to climb up and and look outside, a mini brush pile and tons of hay for his elaborate nest making capabilities.

You know, he eventually calmed his little butt down. And after a year or so being caged, ( I keep my bobs in an aviary set up), he was able to be let loose with the others. He never was allowed to have a mate from the biting of the toes, but he got weekly conjugal visits!

So, you don't HAVE to remove entirely one quail that is obnoxious. They can get quite friendly to you if you are all they have.

Good luck!

Last edited:
I'm going to put the two girls in the other colony, when I plan on setting eggs I'll move them to a separate cage and let him have periodical dates. This should work out, the last bird I added to that colony they didn't care, it was like she'd always been there. Giovanni can deal with being alone, I dont foresee him warming up to me though, he's never liked people.

Back
Top Bottom