Death at day 14

Ashleylouisa

In the Brooder
Aug 1, 2020
Hello,

I recently lost an egg day 14-16. I incubated 3 more and have just lost an egg at day 14. Is this a critical time where losses happen? Other two seem to be thriving and incubator has been very constant - using the r com mini automatic, previously used a home made that was less stable.

Thanks

Unfortunately this does happen my only advice is try not to open incubator much cept to turn them and candlight them occasionaly .... when get to day 18 candlelight to ensure whats still ok which u obv done and then turn humidy up and go on lockdown of nt touching them all until hatch ....whats ur temp and humidy set at day 1-14 then 18-21 ?

Many things can cause day 14 quitters.
According to U of Fla research, among them are:
1. Improper incubator temperature, humidity, turning, ventilation. Low humidity increases abnormalities of aortic arches (13 days).
2. Contamination.
3. Nutritional deficiencies -- riboflavin, vitamin B12, biotin, niacin, pyridoxine, pantothenic acid, phosphorus, boron, or linoleic acid.
4. Lethal genes

#3 above is often overlooked. Enhancing breeder nutrition beginning at least 2 weeks prior to collecting eggs helps hatchability quite a bit.

Unfortunately this does happen my only advice is try not to open incubator much cept to turn them and candlight them occasionaly .... when get to day 18 candlelight to ensure whats still ok which u obv done and then turn humidy up and go on lockdown of nt touching them all until hatch ....whats ur temp and humidy set at day 1-14 then 18-21 ?
Thankyou for your reply, I only open to candle every couple of days and the incubator turns them automatically for me. 1-14 has been around 60 percent, the aircell sizes look good and definitely not shrunken. On the egg that died the aircell just disappeared, it's a maran egg so pretty hard to see what else is going on but the aircell was there the day before and lots of movement seen

Thanks

Another way to measure for perfect humidity is to weigh eggs rather than candling for air cell size. I usually only candle once toward the end and it is just to look for clears. I weigh a couple times to make sure weight loss is on track.

Back
Top Bottom