Death of the Flock Leader

MgnRose

Songster
Jun 16, 2019
Portland, Oregon
Hi, y’all. My husband had to cull our flock leader Dorothy this evening due to either EYP or some other internal blockage. (She was the best- I’m completely heartbroken.) With her being the flock leader, I want to do whatever I can to help the other ladies adjust with minimal skirmishes. Any one have any ideas of how to make this process easier for my ladies?

I'm not sure I can answer your question but I did want to say I'm sorry for your loss. :hugsHave you had chickens very long? How old was your hen? How many do you have left? I've had to cull a rooster in the past, and others as well, both cockerels and hens, for various reasons, and I can't say I ever noticed much of an upset in the social structure because of these changes. We keep an average population of around 20 at any given time, so perhaps that makes it easier on the flock than if we only had three or four. I hope all goes well for you and your flock.

I'm not sure I can answer your question but I did want to say I'm sorry for your loss. :hugsHave you had chickens very long? How old was your hen? How many do you have left? I've had to cull a rooster in the past, and others as well, both cockerels and hens, for various reasons, and I can't say I ever noticed much of an upset in the social structure because of these changes. We keep an average population of around 20 at any given time, so perhaps that makes it easier on the flock than if we only had three or four. I hope all goes well for you and your flock.
Thank you- it’s been difficult knowing there was little I could do to help beyond ease her pain ❤️❤️

This is the first flock I’ve had on my own in adulthood and it’s a small one- only 5 ladies, who are 3 years old and were hatched together.

I pose this question because Dorothy being sick seemed to cause stress within the flock amongst the other girls. Even though they were very kind with Dorothy, two of them have been acting more aggressively towards each other and the lowest hen. I guess I’m not really sure what to expect since this is the first time dealing with the loss of a flock member for both me and my girls.

Last edited:
I recently lost my flock leader Ruth to a coyote, there have been a few mini battles, chest bumping and what not, nothing serious, mostly among the 3 lowest in the pecking order. Second in command Maribel, my light brahma took over almost immediately(though she does not rule with the easy breezy temperament of Ruth) They will figure it out, its in their nature ♥️ I'm sorry about your lady, she'll always be with you :hugs

I recently lost my flock leader Ruth to a coyote, there have been a few mini battles, chest bumping and what not, nothing serious, mostly among the 3 lowest in the pecking order. Second in command Maribel, my light brahma took over almost immediately(though she does not rule with the easy breezy temperament of Ruth) They will figure it out, its in their nature ♥️ I'm sorry about your lady, she'll always be with you :hugs
Thank you ❤️ I’m sorry about your Maribel- losing a lady is so hard.

I’m hoping my second in command (Blanche- she’s a bit of a monster) doesn’t take the throne because she too, won’t rule in such a benevolent fashion 😬

Back
Top Bottom