Deathlayers

I have started raising silver Deathlayers. I was very excited for this breed. But after they hit 5 months old they started dying on me for no apparent reason. They just seem to get weak overnight and lay down till they are gone. I have lost 3 of my 6 this way already. I have at least 20 other chickens of various breeds that all seem to be fine. What is it with this breed?
Deathlayers sound ominous!! The sickness might be coccidiosis. If is is, you'll need to treat is quickly, you might want to look up symptoms.

I wasn't the one to resurrect it, (this time) but I noticed someone wanting deathlayer eggs the other day, the name was intriguing and I started doing some research on them (yes there are others that likes research). I put it in the search bar and was reading old and new threads about them. I didn't happen to comment on them but would have (even if old) if I had a question or comment about something in the thread.
Sometimes you get better answers when the thread is older as now there has been some time to pass and he may have answers to his questions, but just didn't come back to share, and when someone else comments on it, it will send a notice and they may come back and answer.
I was thinking about getting deathlayer eggs, but may wait a bit now. I didn't read where they were harder to raise or hatch.

I recommend anyone else researching this breed to join the Facebook group for them. It doesn't seem to be widely discussed elsewhere, but this breed (Silvers in particular) is extremely prone to leg issues that are nearly always fatal (I would say always but maybe there's an exception that I haven't heard). Many start with knees turned outward, some with total paralysis of one or both legs...

I haven't heard of any vitamins or treatments being successful yet (but would welcome positive stories). Some think it's a neurological issue... personally I think it's something in the tendons, but wasn't able to pop anything back in on my poor little rooster.

I have one of his sisters in isolation now with wobbly knees, a stuck egg (?) and who knows what else. They were difficult, demanding chicks compared to my Bresse and Wyandottes, and seem susceptible to every passing problem. This is going to get worse IMO because everyone is selling eggs and chicks the moment their birds start laying. I've seen people lose most of their clutch to seizures and leg problems then go on to breed the survivors. IMO... stay far away from these beautiful, sweet birds until something changes. It's very sad.

Why do they call them deathlayers? That's an odd name.

Also are you keeping them isolated from the others that don't have this going on?

And maybe you could try using a different set of feed, to make sure there's not some contaminant.
Internet says:
the peculiar name comes from the hen's ability to lay an incredible amount of eggs. Deathlayer hens will lay (approximately) an egg a day until she dies. ... The average lifespan of a chicken is about 10-12 years and Deathlayers will provide eggs consistently well into her ripe old ag

Attachments

• 1620585677632.jpeg
    1620585677632.jpeg
    3 KB · Views: 11
I became chicken insane and ordered 2 from Greenfire. They are 100 each. Buggers where crowing at each other, this morning. Hatch date march 17 2021. They are outside in a mixed flock, with turkeys, guineas, pheasants. Very heathy and I've challenged their immune systems. They where vaccinated. They where in the brooder with birds from a different hatchery and turkeys and guineas hatched on my farm. They are outside off heat in PA. No troubles.

Attachments

• IMG_0335 (2).JPG
    IMG_0335 (2).JPG
    469.8 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0407.JPG
    IMG_0407.JPG
    694.1 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0330.JPG
    IMG_0330.JPG
    332.7 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0369.JPG
    IMG_0369.JPG
    561.1 KB · Views: 8
Can't seem to find out much information on the deathlayer chicks. They are very sensitive to cold as chicks and it is pretty expensive to find out this info. No one has any advice on what is best to hatch and raise them.. I recently purchased some chicks. they need it warmer than my other chicks do constantly. they have sugar in water and vitamins. were eating and drinking, no diarrhea, and then droopy wings for a couple days, quit drinking and lay down and die. outside temp went down from 98-100 degrees to 61, but they still had heat to set on a light which burned out one night. Lost 3rd one this morning. 3 left. doubt they will make it at this rate. I won't buy anymore. I have never had chicks that need as much as they seem too. Heat wise. and no one has info to go by on what to do. It seems that folks have trouble with them hatching and or growing up. I guess I can see why there are so few of those birds left.. They are beautiful though. I like Beauty, but also need production.

Back
Top Bottom