Deathlayers

Pdeisher

Hatching
Sep 3, 2020
I have started raising silver Deathlayers. I was very excited for this breed. But after they hit 5 months old they started dying on me for no apparent reason. They just seem to get weak overnight and lay down till they are gone. I have lost 3 of my 6 this way already. I have at least 20 other chickens of various breeds that all seem to be fine. What is it with this breed?

Why do they call them deathlayers? That's an odd name.

Also are you keeping them isolated from the others that don't have this going on?

And maybe you could try using a different set of feed, to make sure there's not some contaminant.

A simple Google search will explain the name. From Greenfire Farms:

"How did it merit being called a Deathlayer, a name that is metal to the core? There are two competing theories. A literal translation of its German name, Totleger, means “death layer.” One theory has it that the name was bestowed because the hens of this breed are so productive they lay an egg each day until the day they die. The second theory – less sensational but probably more accurate -- is that the breed was first described by a different name in low German (Dauerleger or, literally, “day layer”), and over the centuries this name morphed into Totleger."

Source: https://greenfirefarms.com/deathlayer.html

Am I the only person who actually enjoys researching?

I haven’t experienced Deathlayers dying when older. I just can’t get this breed to hatch from an egg. Every batch turned out crummy. Yet other breeds did just fine.

It’s a bummer you’re losing yours at an age where they should be stronger and healthier. If I were in your shoes, I would contact someone to test one like someone else had mentioned. That’s very concerning, but also weird that it’s just them.

To be completely honest, Deathlayers (for me at least) have not been very good layers. They are for sure gorgeous birds and are expensive, but so far haven’t done any deathlaying :/

I have started raising silver Deathlayers. I was very excited for this breed. But after they hit 5 months old they started dying on me for no apparent reason. They just seem to get weak overnight and lay down till they are gone. I have lost 3 of my 6 this way already. I have at least 20 other chickens of various breeds that all seem to be fine. What is it with this breed?
Deathlayers are extremely difficult to raise.
They are very sensitive and very inbred.

Back
Top Bottom