Debating on adding more chickens to my flock..

Kaford

Songster
Nov 22, 2021
I am currently debating on adding more hens to my existing flock. I'm pretty new to all of this as I just got my flock of 4 in September! I have 3 females and I'm assuming 1 male. My neighbor wants to rehome her rooster I'd love to take him he is beautiful but I do not want him to pick on my guy! I'm torn on what to do. I'm also greatly considering adding more females to the group. I guess my question is would it be difficult to introduce morw females into the already established flock? And where might I be able to get pullets that are close to egg laying age? Thank you in advance!

HAHA CHICKEN MATH STRICKS AGAIN! xD I would totally add to the flock! If your content with the roo you have now, I would not take the other. It will cause drama in the flock and thats ok, as long as you have enough hens to go around, which you don't. Try craigslist for more pullets, but you can also just get some chicks and a heat lamp. Once their fully feathered you can get them outside. Just make sure you have enough room for them all! Where do you live? Do you get snow on the ground?

HAHA CHICKEN MATH STRICKS AGAIN! xD I would totally add to the flock! If your content with the roo you have now, I would not take the other. It will cause drama in the flock and thats ok, as long as you have enough hens to go around, which you don't. Try craigslist for more pullets, but you can also just get some chicks and a heat lamp. Once their fully feathered you can get them outside. Just make sure you have enough room for them all! Where do you live? Do you get snow on the ground?
Thank you for responding! Oh boy how many hens per rooster do you need!? Haha!! And yes I'm in Maryland we get some snow and some pretty brutal cold days but then there's some years its pretty mild! We're in the process of expanding their coop/ run area we also have geese we had gotten as gosling that we are going to see if they can intermingle to guard the flock. How many pullets would be acceptable?

Craigslist and several online hatcheries are usually the easiest way to find older pullets. Just remember 1 rooster per 10 hens is the general guideline (rooster dependant though). Introducing can be difficult depending on the flock, but the easiest and safest way to do so is by creating either a divider or separate run/pen where they can see each other, but not touch. This process usually takes a few weeks at least before they can be fully integrated.

Thank you for responding! Oh boy how many hens per rooster do you need!? Haha!! And yes I'm in Maryland we get some snow and some pretty brutal cold days but then there's some years its pretty mild! We're in the process of expanding their coop/ run area we also have geese we had gotten as gosling that we are going to see if they can intermingle to guard the flock. How many pullets would be acceptable?
What breeds are the roos? I would say 10 hens to two roos at minimum. And 8 hens to a roo. That was they don't get over bred and loose feathers. But all chickens are different so you could try it out!

What breeds are the roos? I would say 10 hens to two roos at minimum. And 8 hens to a roo. That was they don't get over bred and loose feathers. But all chickens are different so you could try it outi

Attachments

• 20211123_134850.jpg
    20211123_134850.jpg
    719.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 20211123_134735.jpg
    20211123_134735.jpg
    691.1 KB · Views: 3
NO! Please! Goslings have to be raised with the chicks to be integrated. Your geese WILL kill your chickens. Please don't!!
That is very possible. I would try it anyway, though, and see how they do, just a few at a time. My goose was not raised with chickens and she doesn't try to kill them. Infact, when my hen got in a tussle with the roo, my goose stepped in between them and broke the fight up, multiple times.

That being said, there is a chance that the geese will not react violently, but the chances are low.

Back
Top Bottom