Pics
Now Stella is watching over them, just like she watches over the chicks in the brooder.

No, she's not thinking about her next meal. :gig

She's been good with the chicks, but I realize, this is like sticking an ice cream cone in front of a two-year-old and telling them not to touch it. The grow-out pen chicks (1 month - 4 month) and her get along but that's about the youngest I trust her with.

View attachment 3803981View attachment 3803983
Nice setup!
Junapurr approves of any setup that allows for a cat lounge. I'm sure Stella does too.

Fantastic! Then I will definitely skip the lecture on “So you’ve been unexpectedly gifted a budgie…” :lau
I had them as a kid and they mimicked the wild birds calls all the time - it was hilarious to hear robins in the winter!

They were scape artists also… I really miss their lively antics 😊

I just saw the coolest thing!

I was sitting here in my home office typing as usual and glanced out the window to see one of our 6-week-old mottled silkies running across the yard with Mini, our old and tiny black silkie chasing after it. I ran outside and found them up against the house with Blue Boy, one of the roosters standing between them. That little one was sure happy to see me!

They were out in our "playpen" thing and today's the last day of that since they're able to fly out of it. We've got a screen cover for it somewhere around here but I don't know where the case is.

Hubby had built them a hutch with a Cozy Coop radiant heater and small pen so they can move outside permanently, but he said he needed to do something yet. I didn't wait...I moved all 7 of them over to their new temporary home. There's a slide he made to cover the door so think that's what maybe he hadn't finished.

IMG_0951.JPEG

It'll do the trick until we can integrate the 7 in the aviary temp coop to the main coop, then these can go there.

The ones in the aviary are about 3.5 months old, so maybe another month, although I just caught them hanging out under the deck with the older chickens to get out of the wind, so maybe it'd be earlier for them, although they're all scrunched in the corner. They all have coops they could be in, but here's where they go. 🤷‍♀️
IMG_0949.JPEG

I'm going to have to start naming the pens! We've got the main coop, the "4-season" greenhouse breeding pen, the aviary grow-out pen for free rangers, and now the little grow-out pen. I want to use that little one for the chicks that'll be hatching in about a month that I'll be keeping and growing out. Yeah, I ordered more "fancy" eggs. :clap That'll be another post when they all get here. Hopefully all by Friday. 3.5 dozen from 3 different places. 😊

I just saw the coolest thing!

I was sitting here in my home office typing as usual and glanced out the window to see one of our 6-week-old mottled silkies running across the yard with Mini, our old and tiny black silkie chasing after it. I ran outside and found them up against the house with Blue Boy, one of the roosters standing between them. That little one was sure happy to see me!

They were out in our "playpen" thing and today's the last day of that since they're able to fly out of it. We've got a screen cover for it somewhere around here but I don't know where the case is.

Hubby had built them a hutch with a Cozy Coop radiant heater and small pen so they can move outside permanently, but he said he needed to do something yet. I didn't wait...I moved all 7 of them over to their new temporary home. There's a slide he made to cover the door so think that's what maybe he hadn't finished.

View attachment 3816769

It'll do the trick until we can integrate the 7 in the aviary temp coop to the main coop, then these can go there.

The ones in the aviary are about 3.5 months old, so maybe another month, although I just caught them hanging out under the deck with the older chickens to get out of the wind, so maybe it'd be earlier for them, although they're all scrunched in the corner. They all have coops they could be in, but here's where they go. 🤷‍♀️
View attachment 3816770

I'm going to have to start naming the pens! We've got the main coop, the "4-season" greenhouse breeding pen, the aviary grow-out pen for free rangers, and now the little grow-out pen. I want to use that little one for the chicks that'll be hatching in about a month that I'll be keeping and growing out. Yeah, I ordered more "fancy" eggs. :clap That'll be another post when they all get here. Hopefully all by Friday. 3.5 dozen from 3 different places. 😊

Sounds like you're doing a real juggling act there Debbie!

Sounds like you're doing a real juggling act there Debbie!
I filed for SSI last Friday, and cutting my transcription to nearly half so I can juggle some more. More time for BYC too! OMG as if I don't hang out in here enough as it is already. :old

Seriously, outside of my hubby and the usual things, the two things that bring me joy and smiles the most each day are my chickens and BYC. ❤️

Back
Top Bottom