Pics
A story of turnaround.

I've hatched a couple of batches in the past few days. As you might have known or seen, one small batch of eggs I bought was just to get me one bearded/vaulted white silkie hen and rooster.

I found 6 eggs for sale, she sent 7. Shocking that 5 of those hatched, the other two appear to have died around the midpoint. Nothing notable occurred that would explain that but they had been growing with aircells on both ends. Among those were some other shipped eggs and some of mine.

One of the white ones, a little yellow chick, wasn't doing so well. To my dismay, it appeared it had not just splayed legs but probably legs out of joint. He was fluffy and dry, but just laying there crying, trying to scoot around. That was this morning so I put it back in the incubator for the day as it was crying like it was cold but temp was fine, as were all of its siblings. It slept most of today. When hubby got home, I told him about it and I was a little stressed because we're going to be gone all day Saturday, and I sure didn't plan to have a disabled/sick chick. We have backup water bottles and feed for both brooders, so they'd be fine, but not this one. I couldn't leave it, so I had to devise a way to bring it along with us.

I got the Vet Wrap strip cut and went to open the incubator to bind its legs. Except, it was sitting there without splayed legs.

Very weird as it sure had issues 10 hours earlier!

Yet, it wouldn't stand. It was scooting around on its haunches. It still had something wrong with its legs. I brought it out to the kitchen table to look it over and get it to drink w/ Nutradrench. Hubby didn't like how we stick their beaks in the water, so got a spoon. The little one drank from his spoon. I crushed a little feed, and it ate from his hand. Then, it stood up to eat from his hand. I was excited! He's using his legs!! Hubby said it just hadn't found its legs yet. That must be what it was. There is nothing wrong with this chick.

Well, we now have so many I didn't even count, yet. There are also 8 in the other brooder that are to be sold. Some of these will be sold but some are claimed and some I'm keeping to grow out.

The chick who recovered is the yellow one in the middle. I'm going to keep that one. ❤️

Note: I caught them while they were sleeping. They're all alive. 😊

View attachment 3842025
Glad the little guy is ok! ❤️ Cute piles of fuzz there. :love

A story of turnaround.

I've hatched a couple of batches in the past few days. As you might have known or seen, one small batch of eggs I bought was just to get me one bearded/vaulted white silkie hen and rooster.

I found 6 eggs for sale, she sent 7. Shocking that 5 of those hatched, the other two appear to have died around the midpoint. Nothing notable occurred that would explain that but they had been growing with aircells on both ends. Among those were some other shipped eggs and some of mine.

One of the white ones, a little yellow chick, wasn't doing so well. To my dismay, it appeared it had not just splayed legs but probably legs out of joint. He was fluffy and dry, but just laying there crying, trying to scoot around. That was this morning so I put it back in the incubator for the day as it was crying like it was cold but temp was fine, as were all of its siblings. It slept most of today. When hubby got home, I told him about it and I was a little stressed because we're going to be gone all day Saturday, and I sure didn't plan to have a disabled/sick chick. We have backup water bottles and feed for both brooders, so they'd be fine, but not this one. I couldn't leave it, so I had to devise a way to bring it along with us.

I got the Vet Wrap strip cut and went to open the incubator to bind its legs. Except, it was sitting there without splayed legs.

Very weird as it sure had issues 10 hours earlier!

Yet, it wouldn't stand. It was scooting around on its haunches. It still had something wrong with its legs. I brought it out to the kitchen table to look it over and get it to drink w/ Nutradrench. Hubby didn't like how we stick their beaks in the water, so got a spoon. The little one drank from his spoon. I crushed a little feed, and it ate from his hand. Then, it stood up to eat from his hand. I was excited! He's using his legs!! Hubby said it just hadn't found its legs yet. That must be what it was. There is nothing wrong with this chick.

Well, we now have so many I didn't even count, yet. There are also 8 in the other brooder that are to be sold. Some of these will be sold but some are claimed and some I'm keeping to grow out.

The chick who recovered is the yellow one in the middle. I'm going to keep that one. ❤️

Note: I caught them while they were sleeping. They're all alive. 😊

View attachment 3842025
What an amazing story! Thanks for sharing, that gives me some hope for my little Lacey. ❤️
I seen mixed bantams at Tractor Supply wednesday when getting my Wyandottes and looked for Silkies but they didn't have any. :( I wish I lived near you because I would buy some of your silkies! I just think they are so cute! ❤️

The Odoban chicks update:

If you don't know what this is about, see https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/sterilizing-hatching-eggs-from-mareks-mdv.79104/

Hatch date 1/16-1/17/2024
odoban chicks 1-17-24.jpg

Ember - hen
Odoban - Ember 5-24-24.JPEG

Maxwell - Rooster
Odoban splash 5-24-24.JPEG

Partridge was adopted out. She sent photo today. She's leaning roo. Was from the pet-quality bunch.
Odoban partridge 5-24-24.jpg

The Odoban chicks update:

If you don't know what this is about, see https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/sterilizing-hatching-eggs-from-mareks-mdv.79104/

Hatch date 1/16-1/17/2024
View attachment 3842374

Ember - hen
View attachment 3842371

Maxwell - Rooster
View attachment 3842370

Partridge was adopted out. She sent photo today. She's leaning roo. Was from the pet-quality bunch.
View attachment 3842379
Looks like the experiment was a huge success! Gorgeous birds too! :love

Back
Top Bottom