Pics
Oh my gosh!!! I am so excited for your Bobbi eggs!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ahhhhh I can’t even wait! Isn’t she so nice? Lol I love her! I hope you get a whole bunch of gorgeous porcelains so I can see all the pics and be extremely jealous 😂 Seriously I can’t wait to see her babies when you hatch them. Also very excited for the eggs you currently have in!

Just as an FYI on the paint breeding (this is my understanding so I could be wrong but I love paints so have researched them quite a bit!)

Most white silkies are recessive white. It is very likely that your white silkie eggs are recessive white unless they were sold as dominant white or out of a paint pen. Paint is made by crossing dominant white with black. A paint bird is a black bird with a dominant white gene. The dominant white allows for pigment “holes” that the black peeks through. So if you have a paint already, just cross with a black silkie and you should get half paint, half black from that breeding. Because the paint will pass the dominant white gene to half of the offspring.

Now if you cross two paint birds together, you can end up with 25% white (these birds carry two dominant white genes) 50% paint (carrying one dom white and one black gene) and 25% black (no dom white gene). You can then take the white birds out of this breeding and breed them to a black to get 100% paint offspring.

A couple of other things I had learned about paint when I was researching them - it is preferred to use blacks that are silver based rather than gold based because then you won’t have gold leakage on your paints. But silver based blacks are harder to come by and most breeders don’t exclusively use them. And the other thing is that most paint breeders prefer to use black birds out of paint lines in their paint programs, thinking that the pigment holes will be bigger, and thus the spots will be bigger. However I haven’t really seen hard evidence of that. So if all you have is a gold based black out of non paint lines, I’d still give it a try with a paint hen! Or order eggs from a paint breeder 😂 I do think that if you have paint birds with nice bold spots, those birds bred together would probably yield the best paint offspring.

Also not discouraging you from breeding a recessive white to a paint bird, but just know that you very likely won’t get any paints out of such a breeding. Recessive white should only be bred to recessive white, or all sorts of random colors can pop up.

Excited for what you have in the works right now!!
This is why I said I wasn't holding my breath to get any dominant whites out of these, but I'll still breed a white roo to a paint and also just make some white chicks as peeps have been asking for them.

I do have one black hen from that paint breeder so wonder about putting her with the blue rooster actually. Like I told Janie, I'm thinking about just throwing them all in a pen and seeing what I get but then I won't know which of the whites/blacks had anything to do with the paints, and I should be paying attention to that.

Oops while I was typing my huge long breeding info for paints I see that you already know all of that info from your last couple of responses to people 😂 if you don’t have a black rooster you could ask Bobbi to put in some black eggs for you 😉 Or, don’t you have some black mottled?? The mottled gene is recessive so if you end up with a roo, I think you could breed it to paint and it would be as though you were breeding to regular black because the babies would carry the mottle gene but it wouldn’t be expressed.
And I didn't see you already realized that when I replied to explain again. :lau

But hey, I need all the info I can get as some of this is just a lot of wishful thinking but I already do have the potential for more paints with the blue rooster. Seriously about the mottled? I didn't know that though but yes, I have two. They are only 7 weeks old so don't know what they are yet but did not realize they could count as black. If they are hen and rooster, I was keeping them both anyway to breed more of those. That's cool to know, thank you!!

And I didn't see you already realized that when I replied to explain again. :lau

But hey, I need all the info I can get as some of this is just a lot of wishful thinking but I already do have the potential for more paints with the blue rooster. Seriously about the mottled? I didn't know that though but yes, I have two. They are only 7 weeks old so don't know what they are yet but did not realize they could count as black. If they are hen and rooster, I was keeping them both anyway to breed more of those. That's cool to know, thank you!!
You need Norman eggies to have some true blacks to breed to that paint NN 😉

You need Norman eggies to have some true blacks to breed to that paint NN 😉
Awe, were there any in that batch of Post Office football box? I'd be sad to know there were.

I'm excited now that Slothinc told me the black mottled, should one be roo, counts as a black! I have plenty of black hens, but no black roos.

Last edited:
I've read all of the this and thats and now my head is spinning. It needs to be on a pillow to revive.
Awe, well...if this helps, this is pasted from my One Note where I keep...you guessed it, notes. I paste or retype them there from posts or websites as I learn something. It's pretty much the whole thing, yet, offspring isn't on here, or those words "split to XX".

Plus, one little tidbit about all these cuckoos I have now and am getting more of lol.

Paint to paint = 50% paint, 25% white, 25% black.
Black to paint = 50% paint and 50% black.
White to paint = 50% paint and 50% white.
Dominant white to black = 100% paint.
White is two copies of dominate white
Paint is one copy of white
Black is no copy of white

To get paints, you can breed a paint with a solid black or blue chicken, or you can breed paints to each other. Either way should give you about 50% paint chicks. The other half of chicks will differ depending on which way you set up the pen.

Paint x black = paint and black, about equal numbers

Paint x blue = paint, blue paint, black, blue, about equal numbers of each. Blue paint is like paint, but the colored bits are black rather than blue.

Paint x paint gives about half paint, a quarter black, a quarter white without paint. The whites from a paint x paint breeding can be bred to blacks and produce 100% paint in that next generation.

Breeding paint x white (if the white comes from a line of paints) should give 50% paint and 50% white. Breeding a white like that to a solid black or blue will give 100% paint.

The cuckoo gene is dominant, however if you put a cuckoo hen with a solid roo it will be a sexlinked pairing. All boys will be cuckoo and girls will be solid

Cute story. The guy that came yesterday to get the 7 chicks that hatched a couple days ago was very talkative and bragging about all the different chickens, goats, peacocks, guineas, ducks, geese, etc. he had, telling me all about them. When I marveled at all he was telling me, he rolled his eyes and said he's got 6 kids and they all want these things so he buys what they want.

He saw the peacocks in my yard and said they were prettier than his, could he buy some. I pointed to my neighbor's house down the road and explained they were theirs.

He then asked to see the breeding pen so he'd know what these chicks will grow up to be as he didn't know what "mauve" meant. His eyes got big when he saw them and said his chickens didn't look like mine. Then he saw the 3.5 month frizzles and cuckoos walk by and his eyes got bigger and asked what those were. I explained. Then he saw the little NN paint and mottled and more cuckoos in the baby's pen and asked what those were. I explained.

He turned square to me, looked me in the eye, and said if I sell anything else, would I please message him first, and give him a day in case he doesn't reply right away. He sounded desperate.

When he got home, he messaged me that the chicks were fine and reminded me to message him if I sell anything.

So, the six kids are who want everything, huh? ☺️

Awe, were there any in that batch of Post Office football box? I'd be sad to know there were.

I'm excited now that Slothinc told me the black mottled, should one be roo, counts as a black! I have plenty of black hens, but no black roos.
Nope, Normie is new to the breeding scene 😊 he's a doll too. He's not perfect, but he's sweet. I have what looks to be a really nice black cockerel growing out now, proper comb, 5 toes, jet black, and the wings look good! This little guy will likely take Norman's place. I'm sure he'll be happy to provide you some black chickies in just a few months 😄

20240429_195614.jpg

Cute story. The guy that came yesterday to get the 7 chicks that hatched a couple days ago was very talkative and bragging about all the different chickens, goats, peacocks, guineas, ducks, geese, etc. he had, telling me all about them. When I marveled at all he was telling me, he rolled his eyes and said he's got 6 kids and they all want these things so he buys what they want.

He saw the peacocks in my yard and said they were prettier than his, could he buy some. I pointed to my neighbor's house down the road and explained they were theirs.

He then asked to see the breeding pen so he'd know what these chicks will grow up to be as he didn't know what "mauve" meant. His eyes got big when he saw them and said his chickens didn't look like mine. Then he saw the 3.5 month frizzles and cuckoos walk by and his eyes got bigger and asked what those were. I explained. Then he saw the little NN paint and mottled and more cuckoos in the baby's pen and asked what those were. I explained.

He turned square to me, looked me in the eye, and said if I sell anything else, would I please message him first, and give him a day in case he doesn't reply right away. He sounded desperate.

When he got home, he messaged me that the chicks were fine and reminded me to message him if I sell anything.

So, the six kids are who want everything, huh? ☺️
That's awesome! :woot I love it when I meet people who get excited over chickens! He has quite the collection for his kids 🤣

Nope, Normie is new to the breeding scene 😊 he's a doll too. He's not perfect, but he's sweet. I have what looks to be a really nice black cockerel growing out now, proper comb, 5 toes, jet black, and the wings look good! This little guy will likely take Norman's place. I'm sure he'll be happy to provide you some black chickies in just a few months 😄

View attachment 3819953
What about Norm? Will he go into another pen? Will his current girlfriends miss him?

Back
Top Bottom