Debeaked Chickens-Please Help Me!

Hey guys thanks for all your advice! You've given me heaps of new things to try
smile.png
just wondering if anyone knew of a place in SA that stocks Avia Charge? Otherwise is there an internet site that you can order it from?

Also I've noticed that when I cook their eggs by boiling them often the whites wont set properly...eggs whites are mainly protein I think, so thats probably something else they're lacking!

I'll try out everyones idea and keep you posted on their progress
smile.png

I have never seen a de-beaked chicken and didn't even know that it was done (they don't do this in Australia, not that the battery hens here have a good life living in a tiny cage), it is a heart wrenching sight
sad.png

My hat goes off to each and every one of you who are able to give these girls the kind of life that they were meant to have
smile.png

Oh wow I only just realised this was a worldwide message board! Hmm in that case it might make it a little difficult to track down this Avia Chanrge hey, they may not even have in here in Australia...:|

Today I rescued a completely debeaked chicken from our local animal shelter. I have named her Red Rosie. I think she might be an RIR or a New Hampshire Red. She was found wandering around in a bad part of town. She is in sad shape - very skinny, very pale comb. Her beak is so awful. My heart went out to her. I'm worried about how she'll do with the rest of the flock since she can't peck. I am keeping her quarantined for now.

14455_rosiebeak.jpg

I hope I can bring her back to health and happiness.
Claire

This morning she is enjoying a large helping of cottage cheese and grapes. She is able to eat those with no problem. She is also eating the chick crumbles. I have not seen her eat a pellet yet.

She was found in a part of town that has had some previous incidents with cock fighting. :mad: I wonder if she was being used as a breeding animal. It just turns my stomach. I am so glad I have her now.
smile.png

Should I put electrolytes in her water? Any thoughts on how she will do with the flock when I introduce her?

Claire

Back
Top Bottom