'debeaked' chickens...

ALAN If the flock has a good sized coop and a place to roam there won't be any eating alive, most of the time they peck at one another because there on top of each other and thats not healthy..

Quote:
Yes, right, but since people DO raise replacment pullets that way, and it would be exceedingly expensive to do so otherwise, the question is, IF they're gonna do that to the chickens, isn't it perhaps not so bad to ALSO reduce rates of cannibalism by debeaking.

To me, the thing to deplore is the crowding, not the debeaking.

JMHO,

Pat

Quote:
It's the good sized coop and the place to roam that is the problem.

Although some do get sold into that market beak trimmed birds are generally not meant for backyard chicken owners who have good sized coops and space for them to roam. No need to go to the extra trouble and expense of doing that. Those birds are meant for the commercial market where they have to pay for their keep which means crowding them (by backyard standards). Most of those birds come from high efficiency production strains which unfortunately have a tendency to cannibalism thus the necessity of beak trimming.

High density operations have problems that backyard flock keepers do not just as small flock owners have problems they generally do not. Neither one should try to operate using the other's system of management.

.....Alan.

Last edited:
We've got some white leghorn egg farm rescues that were debeaked. It really is quite pitiful. For a while just make sure that they can feed out of a deep trough (at least one inch deep) because at first they'll have trouble pecking up stuff from the ground. Over time, their bottom beak will wear down as they chook around and try to peck stuff up from the ground and it'll become smooth and rounded and match up to the top beak and they'll be able to eat from the ground.

Tail docking and ear cropping are next on my S*** list. It isn't legal in the UK.

My first chicken (a rescued roo) had his top beak and comb pecked off by his flock mates (a bunch of hungry quail.) After he healed and settled in I trimmed the bottom a bit to make it line up better. It was a lot like a dog's toenail. There is a bit of "quick" in there I could see in the bright light. I was very careful and used the cat's nail trimmers taking a little off at a time. He did not bleed or complain. He is such a sweet bird. I think he knows I saved him.

I was so worried I would hurt him. He is a lot better now and able to pick up food much easier. And I think he looks mighty handsome. His pic is on my BYC blog page.

Apparently, a chicken having its beak cut is like us having our fingers chopped off.
I read that somewhere, not sure if it is true or not but it isn't pain free.

I believe it will grow back over time ... I notice that my "disabled" girl (she doesn't get out and scratch around and peck at things) has the top of her beak longer than the bottom (I also saw this with my late silkie girl - that had 2 very swollen eyes) ...

I wouldn't file the bottom one though - she's learned to adapt by now - just let her be
smile.png
and keep doing what your doing to keep her comfortable, happy & healthy !

Back
Top Bottom