Debeaked chicks

Quote:
Not all pet stores purchase puppies from Puppy Mills. There are many reputable breeders out there too that breed in small numbers for pet stores. You can always get the name of the breeder and investigate. But not ALL are from puppy mills.

What follows is my opinion.

Caring breeders don't sell puppies for resale. People who sell puppies for resale are raising dogs as a cash crop.

I defend the right of all persons to breed animals, dogs or otherwise, but puppies in pet stores NEVER come from reputable or responsible breeders.

I was reading this topic because I have a chance to buy some nice 18 weeks pullets but they are debeaked.

I still have not made a decision.

Am I supporting this practice if I buy debeaked pullets? Would they do okay in a back yard situation?

Is it okay to let them free range as in a back yard?

Thanks for any input.

Quote:
I totally agree with you. It makes me sick.

I too would never buy from anyone who did this. Its so sad
sad.png

Debeaking- the truth

I was always of the opinion that debeaking was cruel, but after raising a flock of 300 through a maine winter I started to think more and more about it. My hens free range all through spring, summer and fall but the winters here are just too cold. During the free range months they are fine, the space they are in is more than sufficient (almost 4 square feet per bird) but in the winter they start picking constantly. I lost a hen a day for awhile and it was not pretty. Then they started eating their eggs! So I decided to give debeaking a chance.

Now when I debeak I only take a small portion of the upper beak, barely a quater of it. The chickens eat fine, outside stuff and all, and there is no more cannabalism or egg eating. I have not lost a single bird since I debeaked except to a fox.

A slight debeaking of the upper beak was actually quite good for my flock. I have no doubt there are millions of birds debeaked in a cruel and inhumane manner, but I do not consider what I do with my chickens to be barbaric, as a flock it really benefits them.

There are always at least two sides to a story. It is easy to apply human attributes of suffering to animals, which can indeed suffer, but lack the frontal lobe (brain) development to experience it at a level that people can.

I've only had one case of needing to deal with a bird that was pecking the heck out of the rest. It was a Rhode Island Red roo, several years ago. I suppose I could have just culled him, but clipped about 1/8th inch off the upper beak instead. He ruffled his feathers when I put him down and proceeded to strut, eat, and drink, per the norm. It did stop the pecking and feather pulling. It didn't negatively affect his free range eating habits.

I bought 4 red star pullets from a small farm last year. They were at point of lay. I drove over 100 miles to get them. When I got home I discovered they had been debeaked.

DO CHICKENS HAVE LIPS?

I mean improperly debeaked. At hatch and again later & nearly ALL top & bottom removed!
They were UNABLE to free range. I have had cross beaked chicks better able to pick up & eat. I couldn't stand it. I paid $15 each for them & I gave them away.

I have photos in my old computer. I need to get them out. Should I post a photo or PM as
personally requested by anyone who would like to see?

IMO ALL debeaking is improper. Kept in proper conditions it is not necessary.

Trimming 1/8 " off a beak of a bird to avoid culling is a HUGE difference than what most people have seen pics of, and/or rescued. If someone wants to keep more birds than what they can properly house, they are going to have problems. It would make more sense to try to be responsible and keep a # of which can be managed properly
hu.gif

Back
Top Bottom