Debeaked chicks

I see the benefit of debeaking to commercial-scale poultry house rearing. I dont decry what they do, as it is part of the overall scheme. 'Fact is, you'd be surprised how much we accept as normal that originates with them. We cant just stop them from doing it because we don't like it; there is nothing in the pipleine to replace them.

But I cant see it for the hobbyist. We can afford to be idealistic, even moralistic, as we don't normally have our livelihoods tied up in our chickens. Since it serves little benefit for us, and IS a distasteful practice, we can afford to dispense with it.

Im curious to know why the feedstore would have debeaked chicks for sale, though. I've always imagined that to be a commercial practice. Who made that decision, I wonder?

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree about debeaking being a horrible practice; that conditions should be changed instead of the chickens - but I also agree that changing the practice will happen right along with devils ice skating...

That being said, two things come to mind: I won't buy ANYTHING from a pet store that sells puppies (they come from puppy mills, without exception- talk about horrible conditions!!) and I won't support that practice, either. So neither would I buy debeaked birds. I would, next time, check the place I purchased chicks from and avoid commercial hatcheries for the same reason. Secondly, debeaking birds is for the convenience of the people who own them and is similar to declawing cats - surgical removal of body parts to prevent destruction caused by lack of acceptable places to behave in a natural manner.

However, to end debeaking would mean the deaths of all those "extra" chickens, and to outlaw declawing would send many cats to the shelter to die because the furniture is more important than the cat to those who declaw.

I use the cat parallel just because it's so similar - there are many other ways people physically adapt animals to the human's benefit.

Who's to say what's right? Tough situation any way you look at it. Let's just keep our little corner of the world as nice as possible! And educate, educate, educate!

I won't buy ANYTHING from a pet store that sells puppies (they come from puppy mills, without exception- talk about horrible conditions!!) and I won't support that practice, either

Not all pet stores purchase puppies from Puppy Mills. There are many reputable breeders out there too that breed in small numbers for pet stores. You can always get the name of the breeder and investigate. But not ALL are from puppy mills.

that is sad about the babies being debeaked. I would have brought them home jut to gie them some love versus the treatment they had already received. it is a cruel thing to debeak them IMHO​

Last edited:
I'm thinking she ordered them debeaked by mistake? Who knows - the Barred Rocks and EE's she had were not debeaked - I know she orders from Ideal in Cameron TX - Like I said she is a little goofy

PS - I'm joanm at home and SG at work...

I imagine it would be a nicer world, if just little bit, if there were no debeaking. But that aint gonna happen anytime soon. It does serve a purpose, albeit one you cannot relate to. This reminds me of one of those shows where people trade places with another family to see how they live...

We have choices, luckily, and can afford to be altruistic. But be careful. Dont look too deeply into the world of hatcheries - I'm just saying...

I still wondered who goofed and got the commercial rejects by mistake...

Quote:
I dunno - I can say first hand that large scale hog farming will be changing dramatically in the next few years due to the legislation of some organizations I don't normally agree with...

I think it is good, we just went on a tour about a month ago and I was very impressed with this VERY LARGE, (I'm talkin hundreds of thousands of head), scale international producer who took the lead (after seeing the writing on the wall of course) and made positive changes for their hogs.

Debeaking is cruel, it actually makes me sick to think of it. I realize it is standard and deemed necessary at the moment, but that doesn't make it written in stone.

I also abhore the pinioning of ornamental flying ducks, such as the mandarins. I won't do it.

Anyway - off my soapbox because I'm a complete contridiction when it comes to animal rights - I believe in them, but understand the industry as well and I am part of it.

Well, this is turning into a potentially explosive topic.
big_smile.png
What we're basically talking about is animal husbandry. And I'm no expert, but I have my views like everyone else. (I think) first and formost that when making decisions about how to care for and keep our animals our primary concern should be the animals dignity. The lack of dignity for animals in most commercial farming situations is where I have my issues. I also feel that most farmers would be willing to change their standards if profitable alternatives were available to them. For example pasture raising as opposed to cage/stall.

Regarding debeaking...this is a cruel practise because it is done without anesthetic or pain management medication after the procedure, which is offensive to the animals dignity.

Regarding declawing...I can see how similarities can be drawn, however, speaking as an owner of a declawed cat....I would like to respectfully point out that declawing is done by a vet, under anesthetic and pain management medication was prescribed and given after the operation. Our dear cat was loved up and coddled and fed extra yummy treats during her recoup time...though most times she's sucked up:love. I do not feel that cat ownership and nice furniture are mutually exclusive. I've had my horses gelded as well. I'm sure by some this would be considered cruel....but in MHO sending unwanted horses to slaughter is the greater crime.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that what should be defining a cruel action to an animal is if the animals dignity is considered and preserved as best as possible.
old.gif

Quote:
Just to throw in my two cents....Regarding declawing...I have always thought it was horrible to declaw a cat because it's like taking off part of your finger and not only that, but leaves the cat defenseless if it gets outside and runs away. UNTIL...I got my cat (who the whole family treats like a baby). My cat was great and I dealt with her scratchings by putting up posts and covering sofa arms with burlap. But one day as she was sitting on the back of a diningroom chair she suddenly and out of the blue took a swipe at my 6 year old Son and put a gash about 1/4th inch under his eye. I'm sorry, but that was just way too close. We had her declawed (under anesthetic) and paid the EXTRA money to have her get pain meds for 3 days following the surgery.
In my opinion, declawing...neutering...spaying ect...are things that need to be considered on an individual basis.

Back
Top Bottom