December Hatch-A-Long 2014

Hatched a batch of barnyard mixed November 1st and tried to shut the incubator down. Made it to November 10th and decided to add 8 more barnyard mix and 12 LF EE's. Should hatch 12/1.

Had someone offer me a great deal on porcelain sizzle eggs and mixed sizzle eggs so 24 eggs were added on November 13th. Due to hatch 12/4.

I have another incubator ordered and will move the first eggs into that at lockdown!
Porcelain sizzles? Lucky you!! I wish I could find neat eggs like that locally. Congrats on your 2nd incubator! My 3rd is in the mail!
wee.gif

Porcelain sizzles? Lucky you!! I wish I could find neat eggs like that locally. Congrats on your 2nd incubator! My 3rd is in the mail!
wee.gif
I had to drive an hour and a half one way in a snowstorm to pick them up. But it will be worth it!

I hope I don't break down and order a third incubator! Hatching your own chicks is addictive!

I had to drive an hour and a half one way in a snowstorm to pick them up. But it will be worth it!

I hope I don't break down and order a third incubator! Hatching your own chicks is addictive!
Good luck!
wink.png
I didn't know what a can of worms I was opening by building a cheap styrobator a couple months ago

Good luck!
wink.png
I didn't know what a can of worms I was opening by building a cheap styrobator a couple months ago
I know!!! Then I decided to bid on emvickrey's splash and sizzle eggs so those will be shipped this week..I have a LG styrofoam incubator I might have to bring out for all these staggered hatches!

What breed are the white egg layers? There's so many :) I love slw too. And EE 'beard' makes me laugh. I tried to hatch some EE bantams but the eggs got so scrambled in shipping that they never developed at all. I will try again in the spring unless I find a good deal before then. I just can't help myself when I see a good price on eggs lol. What kind of incubator are you borrowing?
I'm not sure what breed they are. My hubby requested we have white eggs so I just asked if they had any and was told yes but I never asked what breed they are. And I have no idea what kind of incubator it is which is why I really hope I get it in the next day or 2. I'm a planner so not knowing what I'm dealing with is killing me.

I know!!! Then I decided to bid on emvickrey's splash and sizzle eggs so those will be shipped this week..I have a LG styrofoam incubator I might have to bring out for all these staggered hatches!
I saw that auction and was bummed I didn't have room in my bator for more eggs. I bought my new bator that afternoon but the auction was already over. I think theres another auction for silkie and sizzle eggs up. I'm trying not to go look again! I'll get weak, I know it lol. I can't wait to see pics of your new chickies! I just love silkies

I'm not sure what breed they are. My hubby requested we have white eggs so I just asked if they had any and was told yes but I never asked what breed they are. And I have no idea what kind of incubator it is which is why I really hope I get it in the next day or 2. I'm a planner so not knowing what I'm dealing with is killing me.
They'll be a surprise, that's awesome :) That's why I ordered a mix. I've never done it and I think it'd be fun and exciting to see what hatches

I love my barnyard mixes....ya never know what you're gonna get! I've never had light brahmas or marans before so that will be new. I'm hoping to get a rooster or two so I can hatch more purebreds. I put in 18 yesterday and the humidity here spiked BIG time...so even though it's "cold" (for North Central Florida) I put the AC on and that knocked it down a bit. I guess humidity will be more of an issue towards the end, but still 66% seemed a bit high.
I've read a lot about sizzles, and wonder, what people like about them?

I love my barnyard mixes....ya never know what you're gonna get! I've never had light brahmas or marans before so that will be new. I'm hoping to get a rooster or two so I can hatch more purebreds. I put in 18 yesterday and the humidity here spiked BIG time...so even though it's "cold" (for North Central Florida) I put the AC on and that knocked it down a bit. I guess humidity will be more of an issue towards the end, but still 66% seemed a bit high.
I've read a lot about sizzles, and wonder, what people like about them?

66% is very high unless you're in lockdown, which you said you're not so yup that's a big spike. You don't have to worry about humidity spikes so much during the 18 days as long as it doesn't sit that high for a few days at a time. Everyone recommends something different but I try to stay in the 35-40% range.

I've never had sizzles myself. I do like the look of them though and would like to add one or two to my flock at some point and I think the look is what draws most people to them. Anyone is free to correct me on that if I'm wrong. I haven't read anything out of the ordinary about them other than the curly feathers.

Well, I went to check my water levels in the bator an smelled something off. One of my serama eggs was ROTTEN. I cracked it and the goo that came out was green with moldly looking flecks in it. Yuck. The egg next to it I accidentally cracked. It was dirtier than I care to have so I thought I'd crack it open to see if it had any development. I couldn't find any veining on day 7 on any of the 12 but the shells were a little porous and darkish so I was hoping I just missed it. I cracked it and the yolk had a period instead of a bullseye. I'm tempted to crack them all and see if they all have one but I don't want to ruin my chances of maybe getting at least ONE out of that batch.
hmm.png

Well, I went to check my water levels in the bator an smelled something off. One of my serama eggs was ROTTEN. I cracked it and the goo that came out was green with moldly looking flecks in it. Yuck. The egg next to it I accidentally cracked. It was dirtier than I care to have so I thought I'd crack it open to see if it had any development. I couldn't find any veining on day 7 on any of the 12 but the shells were a little porous and darkish so I was hoping I just missed it. I cracked it and the yolk had a period instead of a bullseye. I'm tempted to crack them all and see if they all have one but I don't want to ruin my chances of maybe getting at least ONE out of that batch. :/
sorry you had a rotten egg already :/ I can't wait to be able to candle but I'm a bit nervous I won't be able to make decisions... I tend to second guess myself and I would also hate to discard any that could potentially make it. My neighbor who is hatching these eggs with me will have to be the final call so I don't drive myself crazy. Friday cannot get here soon enough so we can get started on this crazy adventure! :)

Back
Top Bottom