December Hatch-A-Long 2014

This incubator is going to be the death of me :( didn't have temp problems at all from days 1-18..now I'm having temp problems. And I still can't get humidity up. Ive added water containers, wet paper towels, sponges, even put a humidifier in the room. I just don't get it

This incubator is going to be the death of me :( didn't have temp problems at all from days 1-18..now I'm having temp problems. And I still can't get humidity up. Ive added water containers, wet paper towels, sponges, even put a humidifier in the room. I just don't get it
LOL...I cant keep the humidity down in mine....

Sorry you have so much trouble. I hope you can get it figured out today and will soon see some cute fluffy butts.

Alright I just realized that for candling on day 7 I knew exactly what I was looking for, I knew exactly what I would see in order to decide to toss eggs but I am a little stumped for day 14 candling. I am thinking I won't see much veining anymore and mostly just a big black blob correct? How will I know if they are still alive though if I don't see any movement. Am I mostly just looking for any blood rings and making sure none of them stink? I am so nervous I will toss one that is actually good or that I wont toss one that may explode and kill the rest of my babies! Aggghhhh! Ok now I need to go study for my College Algebra final tomorrow.... I don't wanna think about that kinda math I just wanna think about chicken math!
he.gif

Deb, what kind of problem are you having with the temp? If you used a egg turner in it did your problem start when you tookit out on day 18? Are you Sure your humidity meter is correct or close? If you have veiwing windows are they fogging up?

Deb, what kind of problem are you having with the temp? If you used a egg turner in it did your problem start when you tookit out on day 18? Are you Sure your humidity meter is correct or close? If you have veiwing windows are they fogging up?
yes it did start when I took out the turner. however I also added more water bowls at the same time and even though I used warm water I'm sure that didn't help much. I checked my humidity with the hygrometer from my other bator last night and they were within about 4 percent of each other so I am sure it is close.

ok here is what I have done so far:

Last night for lockdown: took out turner, added extra water containers and wet paper towels ( I now have (7) 4X6 grill pans, and (1) tall round container about 5 inches wide in there). Got humidity to 52 and temp was fine. Checked it this morning and temp was down to 36C (should be about 37.7C) and humidity was 39

Today: I have added a humidifier to the room and covered the top with a heavy blanket. humidity came up to 47 but temp would not come up. (keep in mind I have kept a heater on in this room) then I boiled a pot of water and put in on top of the heater and added some of the hot water to the water bowl in the bator (through a syringe). Temp is now 36.9 and humidity is 50

Alright I just realized that for candling on day 7 I knew exactly what I was looking for, I knew exactly what I would see in order to decide to toss eggs but I am a little stumped for day 14 candling. I am thinking I won't see much veining anymore and mostly just a big black blob correct? How will I know if they are still alive though if I don't see any movement. Am I mostly just looking for any blood rings and making sure none of them stink? I am so nervous I will toss one that is actually good or that I wont toss one that may explode and kill the rest of my babies! Aggghhhh! Ok now I need to go study for my College Algebra final tomorrow.... I don't wanna think about that kinda math I just wanna think about chicken math!
he.gif
I know people candle at different times and for different reasons. I do not candle in the single digit days because I want to give the eggs a chance. I candle the first time on day 12 to remove any clear eggs and then again on day 18 when I remove the turner. On day 18 I remove any eggs that did not develope/died early/etc. The only time I have ever had a Bad egg was from buying eggs from a Auction---where we have no idea how old they are. If you set fresh layed eggs, your chances of having one to explode is very slim.

I know people candle at different times and for different reasons. I do not candle in the single digit days because I want to give the eggs a chance. I candle the first time on day 12 to remove any clear eggs and then again on day 18 when I remove the turner. On day 18 I remove any eggs that did not develope/died early/etc. The only time I have ever had a Bad egg was from buying eggs from a Auction---where we have no idea how old they are. If you set fresh layed eggs, your chances of having one to explode is very slim.
when I candled mine last night I got a rotten one. smelled it as soon as I picked it up. and it came fresh from my own hens! it was so nasty!

yes it did start when I took out the turner. however I also added more water bowls at the same time and even though I used warm water I'm sure that didn't help much. I checked my humidity with the hygrometer from my other bator last night and they were within about 4 percent of each other so I am sure it is close.

ok here is what I have done so far:

Last night for lockdown: took out turner, added extra water containers and wet paper towels ( I now have (7) 4X6 grill pans, and (1) tall round container about 5 inches wide in there). Got humidity to 52 and temp was fine. Checked it this morning and temp was down to 36C (should be about 37.7C) and humidity was 39

Today: I have added a humidifier to the room and covered the top with a heavy blanket. humidity came up to 47 but temp would not come up. (keep in mind I have kept a heater on in this room) then I boiled a pot of water and put in on top of the heater and added some of the hot water to the water bowl in the bator (through a syringe). Temp is now 36.9 and humidity is 50
I always have to slightly increase the temp when I take the egg turner out, because the heat from the turner motor is not in there. I always Add warm water, BUT app 100 degree(you can convert--lol)---not cold or hot. It seems you have Way to much water in it, but??? What kind of incubator are you using?

If you add hot or cold water it will affect the temp for a while, If you cover the incubator with a blanket you will have to readjust the temp. How warm is the room? If the room is to cold the temp will not come up.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom