Decent dog food?

You didn't mention breed, size or activity level of your dogs. If you are going thru 50 lbs a week of anything, they must be very large dogs. Purina pro plan preformance if they are active working dogs (actually mine are all on it from weaning thru death, and I have a 14 year old that can still hunt). Even if the aren't active dogs, you just feed less of it. During the summer my dogs that aren't in training (German Shorthairs) 50 thru 70 lbs eat 3 to 4 cups a day. Of course working dogs get more. No gas, stools are small, well formed, almost no smell (as no smell as you can get!).

i feed canidae for all stages of life, it does good for my dogs, i also put a squirt of salmon oil on it everyday, they also get supplemented with raw chicken livers, hearts and gizzards
smile.png

I found this website helpful.

www.dogfoodanalysis.com

It is unbiased and provides the ingredients as well as putting it all in english for you:) After doing my research, I decided to alternate between Taste of the Wild, Blue buffalo and Eagle Pack for protein variation and the dogs have done great on it.

I have used Eagle Pack (aka Holistic Select since being bought by Wellness) for my dogs for about 6 years. I use the Lamb and Rice but there are other types. It is a little expensive but well worth the price. A 30lb bag last me about 3 weeks feeding a Great Dane and a Jack Russell. It costs $54. You feed less than some other foods so the poop size is smaller. My 14 yo Jack Russell is slim and trim and has the energy of a puppy. But not the eye sight or hearing. My Great Dane, who had some stomach issues, has not had any problems since I started him on the Lamb and Rice. He also has a nice coat and good nails which I mention because he has hypothyroid disease. I really think the food plays a part.

Good luck with your hunt for a good food for your dogs.

Terri

Diamond Naturals Lamb and Rice is good food for the price. Taste of the wild is good, but I love Chicken Soup for the Pet Lovers Soul. It is lower in price and the ingredients speak for the product.

Diamond Naturals Lamb & Rice: Lamb meal, ground rice, cracked pearled barley, millet, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), egg product, rice bran, dried beet pulp, flaxseed, natural flavor, fish meal, potassium chloride, salt, choline chloride, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, niacin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

Taste of the wild: (High Prarie) Bison, lamb meal, chicken meal, egg product, sweet potatoes, peas, potatoes, canola oil, roasted bison, roasted venison, natural flavor, tomato pomace, ocean fish meal, salt, choline chloride, dried chicory root, tomatoes, blueberries, raspberries, yucca schidigera extract, dried fermentation products of Enterococcus faecium, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Lactobacillus casei and Lactobacillus plantarum, dried Trichoderma longibrachiatum fermentation extract, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, niacin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin (vitamin B2), vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

Chicken Soup for the Pet Lovers Soul: Chicken, turkey, chicken meal, turkey meal, cracked pearled barley, whole grain brown rice, oatmeal, millet, white rice, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), potatoes, egg product, tomato pomace, duck, salmon, ocean fish meal, flaxseed, natural chicken flavor, potassium chloride, salt, choline chloride, dried chicory root, kelp, carrots, peas, apples, tomatoes, blueberries, spinach, dried skim milk, cranberry powder, rosemary extract, parsley flake, yucca schidigera extract, L-Carnitine, dried fermentation products of Enterococcus faecium, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Lactobacillus casei and Lactobacillus plantarum, dried Trichoderma longibrachiatum fermentation extract, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, niacin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid

Candace

Back
Top Bottom