Deciding between a Jersey Giant or an Australorp

klt1975

Chirping
7 Years
Sep 24, 2012
Going to look at some Barred Plymouth Rocks, Jersey Giant and Australorp chicks tomorrow. It's a definite on the Barred Rocks since we're raising those for someone else that will be taking them over in a few months but I'm having a real hard time deciding between the 2 others for ourselves.

We have a very docile small flock consisting of one Buff Orpington, 2 bantam silkies and 2 bantam EEs and I want whatever would be the right fit with them.

Egg production isn't crucial at all. We need something friendly, healthy and that will do well around kids.

As much as I would like a really big hen I am a bit worried if I even have enough coop space for a JG. Our coop isn't huge but it easily houses the girls we already have and we've had our current hens plus 2 full grown Barred Rocks live in it with no problems and we still possibly could have squeezed in a few more bantams. I just really can't get a firm idea of the size of a JG. Do they take up much more space than an Orpington? Is it that they are taller, longer, wider or all of the above? I really don't want something that is so big that we'll only be able to get one chicken for ourselves since we have two kids... and they don't like to share lol

Thanks in advance

They are good sized birds, but not really giants lol. I would get an Austrolorp, I think they have better personalities, and are cute as buttons to boot.

If space is getting tight I'd go with the australorps they are a little smaller and great layers as well.If your going to feed and spoil them which is what it sounds like they might as well feed you back.

Back
Top Bottom