Deciding between Roosters (Input needed)

Here comes a third opinion: If you cannot make up your mind let the girls choose their own rooster. ;)

As there is still plenty of time you can observe daily and find out which cockerel/rooster to be, is preferred by the pullets/hens to be.

This definitely was a concern for me with the Serama hens. We didn’t want to risk it with them being in the same pen all of the time. We knew the Maran was a roo at three weeks so we built a small coop next to the original coop and moved the Seramas there. The last remaining old laying hen we had stayed with the babies when we put them in the original coop. They all free range together but the Serama stay separate, the old
Laying hen stays separate too from all of them (the Serama roo was beating her up for some reason which is another reason they got separated) and the babies stay separate. It’s like we have three little flocks. So they are being raised together, but only side by side, they see each other but are separated.
Thank you for replying. This is so helpful. I have 4 flocks now and am about to hatch some bantams. So I'll have 2 bantam flocks and 5 total flocks. I guess keeping them separated is the best thing for the Littles. Thank you again

Well I wanted to thank everyone for their help and input. It was for nothing as we found that our other LF Cochin was ALSO a roo. We read all sorts of information about keeping LF Cochins and a lot of it said you can’t tell if they are male or female until they crow or lay an egg. We also read that the males may be more upright, they feather slower, etc... our Cochins were all
Sold to us as pullets so we had no reason to believe that either of them were male. So I never obsessed with their gender. As I was sitting with them yesterday I kept thinking everyone makes a big deal about the partridge’s comb and wattles but Violets are the same size. Although she is clearly more feminine, isn’t upright and feathered fully weeks ago. So I wanted make sure that the partridge was sexed correctly so I could put this whole thing to bed and just keep the Maran as my roo. I posted a picture of the Cochins side by side and got many “they’re both roos” comments. The lavender is my daughter’s pet and dream chicken. So I guess that settles that. The lavender stays. I’m really disappointed in the whole thing with both of these being pullets and actually being Roos. What a waste.

Were they sold to you as pullets? If so you might want to make a complaint and have them exchanged for real pullets of the same age or older.

I find it really annoying that cockerels are being sold as pullets although the seller/breeder certainly knows that they are not. Sadly happens all the time.

I have Fr. Black Copper Maran Roos and they get along fine, as long as each has their own haram (aka flock). I love that breed. Intelligent, protective of their girls and smart. I'd choose the Maran over any other, unless you find a mean one.....each is different.

I wouldn’t worry about your bantams with your LF flock. I have Old English Game bantams, that are in the flock with the big birds. If there ever is an issue between my Australorp roo and the OEGB roo, it’s the little guy that starts it !!!! You said your chicks are about 10 weeks old, personally I’d start letting the seramas free range with the youngsters. The serama roo will eventually get used to the youngsters AND he will be distracted enough to stop picking on his favorite little hen, and she will be able to get away from him.

The Serama roo is not near as rude as his father (he was AWFUL to people and his hen).

This is why aggressive roosters need to be removed. You don't want to breed them either because it just makes more aggressive roosters. I would say it is still too soon yet to tell who gets the axe and who doesn't. You are going to have to wait until they are mature to know if you have a bad one or not.

We purchased ten chicks back in March, intending for all to be pullets. But you know how that ends up, two of my babies are Roos. These are all 10 weeks old now.

The difficulty in deciding who to keep and who to rehome is real.This will put us at THREE Roos in a subdivision setting. We already have a Serama trio that we separated into their own little coop.

So the boys in question are a French Black Copper Maran roo, Mortimer, and a LF Partridge Cochin roo, Frodo. Each of these boys have a pullet to match. We also have other pullets (Cream Legbars, California White, Buff Brahma, Golden Laced Wyandotte).

Personalities are: Maran -dominant roo, very protective and conscious of his flock, a bit of a touch me not, but not aggressive or scared. Cochin - non dominant at this time, but starting to try to fight with the Maran, will hang out but sort of all over the place, and will sit on you from time to time.

What are your thoughts on these breeds as Roos? Are they generally good with people and good to their ladies? (The Serama roo is a bit rude). I can’t decide who leaves, it is REALLY pushing it to have TWO Roos anyway. Three is just a deal breaker. The roo who stays will have to co-exist with the Serama roo and his hens at free range time. Who would you be more interested in keeping if this was your flock? Thank you!
I love the copper eggs, so the Maran gets my vote to keep providing of course you want to breed him. I saw a youtube video about aggressive roosters. You can search for aggressive roosters to find it. The guy had a rooster chasing his kids and wife. What he did was catch him and hold him to the ground, head down, until he relaxed. He had to do this with each family member. It worked. I have not had a chance to test it with mine but I will if one trys to attack me. Good Luck.

Back
Top Bottom