Deciding between Roosters (Input needed)

Connie123

Chirping
Mar 25, 2020
We purchased ten chicks back in March, intending for all to be pullets. But you know how that ends up, two of my babies are Roos. These are all 10 weeks old now.

The difficulty in deciding who to keep and who to rehome is real.This will put us at THREE Roos in a subdivision setting. We already have a Serama trio that we separated into their own little coop.

So the boys in question are a French Black Copper Maran roo, Mortimer, and a LF Partridge Cochin roo, Frodo. Each of these boys have a pullet to match. We also have other pullets (Cream Legbars, California White, Buff Brahma, Golden Laced Wyandotte).

Personalities are: Maran -dominant roo, very protective and conscious of his flock, a bit of a touch me not, but not aggressive or scared. Cochin - non dominant at this time, but starting to try to fight with the Maran, will hang out but sort of all over the place, and will sit on you from time to time.

What are your thoughts on these breeds as Roos? Are they generally good with people and good to their ladies? (The Serama roo is a bit rude). I can’t decide who leaves, it is REALLY pushing it to have TWO Roos anyway. Three is just a deal breaker. The roo who stays will have to co-exist with the Serama roo and his hens at free range time. Who would you be more interested in keeping if this was your flock? Thank you!

I don’t know how the dynamics with the other rooster would be, I guess if I were looking at this just in terms of picking between 2 roosters, it would hinge on mainly 2 factors. The disposition of the roosters and which breed of rooster fits your desired goals. I don’t know any thing about either breed but based on what I have read Cochin may have a bit better disposition, however the Maran breed may be some what more prolific of an egg laying breed than the Cochin and may also be more suited for free range setting too.

When you talk about the old hen, I think that means you have had chickens, and all these chicks are part of an expansion, or a do over. The reason I mention it, is that I frequently recommend no roosters the first year. Roosters take experience.

Roosters are a crap shoot, and the more roosters you have the greater the chance of a wreck or series of wrecks. Smaller spaces also increase the odds of things not working. A picture of your set up and measurements could really help.

With 12 pullets and one older hen, I would not keep more than one rooster. What are your reasons for keeping a rooster? It is better to pick from that stand point, rather than, whoops I got roosters, how many can I keep stand point. And be aware there is a real possibility none of these roosters will work out.

If you want to raise Seramas, keep him, let the other two go. If you don't want to raise up those birds, let him go.

The third thing is, roosters together act differently than roosters separated. So if you pull a rooster, the one left may change and act differently than he was in the presence of the other rooster. That being said, I think I would let the less dominant rooster, the one who sits on your lap go. I like a rooster to respect my space. People often see a rooster that is not afraid of you as being friendly, but that can change quickly. In chickens a bit of fear is showing a healthy sign of respect.

As stated earlier, 10 weeks is a bit early to pick. But it is also a good idea, to whittle rather than chop. I mean remove one, let the others readjust, then make a final cut.

Mrs K

Here comes a third opinion: If you cannot make up your mind let the girls choose their own rooster. ;)

As there is still plenty of time you can observe daily and find out which cockerel/rooster to be, is preferred by the pullets/hens to be.

Were they sold to you as pullets? If so you might want to make a complaint and have them exchanged for real pullets of the same age or older.

I find it really annoying that cockerels are being sold as pullets although the seller/breeder certainly knows that they are not. Sadly happens all the time.

It's early times yet, if neither is being aggressive to either you or the pullets. Watch a bit longer! Either will be big and beautiful!
Personally I want my roosters to respect my space and pay attention to the welfare of the flock, so any signs of human aggression in any of my cockerels eliminates them from the flock. So far your two big birds seem to be doing okay, so give it a bit more time if you can.
How rude is this Serama cockerel, BTW?
Mary

Their best chance of getting along is to have them raised together, rather than introducing older, more mature cockerels to each other. I've never had Seramas, and the size difference between those tiny birds and either of your big cockerels is scary.
I have both Belgian d'Uccles, bantam EEs, and big Chantecler roosters in my flock, and they get along well. They are also raised together, not introduced to each other later.
Mary

Do you plan on free ranging the 2 flocks together? This may be a non issue for you, but I am terrified that my Marans/Cream Legbar (Big boy) will attempt to mate my Bantams. Maybe this isn't something that happens, but it's one of my possible scenario problems that I'm trying to work around with having standard sized free ranging with bantams, before it's ever even a possibility. Maybe having a cockerel/rooster with each flock keeps this from being a problem, but it's a real concern for me and I'm trying to figure out how to handle it. My silkie pullet screams like she's being killed if the silkie cockerel even considers mounting her and that always seems to turn all 3 of my bantam cockerels off from her, but I don't know about the big guys.

Back
Top Bottom