Deciding on a cage for my first quails

Discussion in 'Quail' started by ilederman, Feb 18, 2015.

1. ilederman

ilederman New Egg

Feb 18, 2015
    Hi everyone! So I recently went to someone's house that raised quail and we ate their eggs. I ended up being so amazed at the idea of having my own supply of eggs and possibly meat in my backyard. I instantly started reading about it and have read so much on this site. So much good information!

I found a seller on Craigslist that is selling jumbo cortunix. I was thinking of getting 1 male and 3 females to start with next week and want to set up their house this weekend, but had a few questions:

What do you guys think of this cage? I would put some smaller wire up front.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004HSQQY0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I can't decide whether I should put bedding down or have them walk on wire. Thoughts?

Does tractor supply sell bedding and water holders and everything I might need? Anybody know a place in San Francisco by any chance?

Which direction should I have them facing to get the most light?

Is 3 females and 1 male a good amount to start with and for this cage?

It's a lot of questions so any information is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. Jedwards

Jedwards Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2014
    Berks County, PA
    I think that cage's size is ok for 4 coturnix quail. I had mine walk on wire in the run and the coop was bedding with straw. Tractor supply will have everything you need if you don't mind spending the money. I'm not sure about local stores in SF or the direction to face the pen. That's a good amount to start with I started with 9, 3 males 6 females then slowly that turned into like 40 quail lol. I'm sure they won't disappoint you, I loved them

3. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

Tractor supply will probably have it but closest place to SF will either be an east bay feed store or Half Moon Bay Feed and Fuel. HMB feed is the only place around the peninsula that carries purina gamebird food. They have a full selection of shavings and such just make sure you never use cedar shavings for birds, it'll roach their lungs.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2015
  4. ilederman

ilederman New Egg

Feb 18, 2015
    Wow I'm already feeling the sense of community. I actually posted an ad on craigslist asking for birds and I had someone in San Jose send me some pictures of his birds. He is a BYC member and mentioned that he saw my post! Awesome

5. zayn

zayn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2015
    uk
    i keep my five japanese quails one male:4 females in an indoor rabbit cage which ive filled with wood chips which works great

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by