deciding what to get

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Flock Runner, Dec 11, 2011.

1. Flock Runner

Flock Runner Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2011
    i already have chickens ducks and a turkey but i wanted to get some thing different like a quail or guinea. does anyone have suggestions on what to get and who to get it from? i've been thinking quail because of how pretty they are but how are they with temperment and noise?

Last edited: Dec 11, 2011
  2. hollyk

hollyk Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2008
    Canton, Texas
    Guineas were great to hatch, so cute! I like them for their bug control, but there are some very colorful birds. I did not have much luck with quail, but I will try those again. The housing seems to different for the quail but the noise was not a problem. Happy hunting for the new addition. [​IMG]

3. chicken farmer 1997

chicken farmer 1997 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    lewis county ky
    guineas.... they are very hard to keep alive when every them get sick.

4. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Consider Bobwhite quail. Hatch a bunch and they can be released. They usually stay in the area where they are released. Set up a feed station for them and you can enjoy seeing and hearing them around your home.

5. Flock Runner

Flock Runner Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2011
    i once went to a barn with guineas. they were very pretty but extremely loud and obnoxtious. are they all like that?

6. MNShepherdess

MNShepherdess Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    Minnesota
    Guinea fowl are the watchdogs of the barnyard, even more so than geese. ANYTHING new presents itself, they go off. So yes, they can be very noisy, but if you free range them, they are WELL worth the noise, and come in lots of colors now [​IMG] They are rather hardy, though they need access to get out of the wind in the winter, the only problem we've had is sometimes during winter storms they'll roost in trees, and you'll have to go catch them as they fall out of the trees after their mouths and noses have frozen over. They unthaw fine, but you really have to watch. LOL. That and if you have long grasses, take the babies, or they'll loose them in the morning dew. You'll go from a batch of 40 to 20 to 12 to 4 in a matter of days. They're awesome though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by