Deck Coop

Mrsdymacek

Hatching
May 5, 2015
Like I mentioned in my "new here" introduction, my husband and I going home to the country and want to get a few back yard birds. We are on the fence between ducks and chickens, or maybe both, but I know we want a Christmas goose that would just be a temporary resident each year. We're not thinking more than 5-6 birds at any one time.

Hi there! Hubby and I have just bought a new house with a 16x16 deck off the back. We really don't need the storage because we have a huge garage and a garden shed as well, so I've just had this idea of converting this underneath space to our coop. I'm envisioning a floor plan sort of like this:

I know ventilation is key as with all coops but especially this one, since we've got living space above it. We are going to put a ceiling fan on the top level so that will also help move air down and out instead of any smell coming up.

There is a rain barrel off the left corner behind that bush, and I think I can rig it for a continuous water supply.

I know I will need to wire it all well to keep my sweeties safe from raccoon paws.

Other than these things, is there anything I am missing? {now that I look at it again, I would probably be fine to just cut the space in half and have 8x16 coop and 8x16 storage/other}

fischnchix

In the Brooder
Apr 26, 2015
PNW
Looks good. I've never had a coop near the house so I don't know much about the smell but I'd definitely use a perch over shelf with pdz. But since you only plan on having a few birds I guess it is not necessary.

Mrsdymacek

Hatching
May 5, 2015
I've just read the ventilation page and I think I've got that in the bag but now what concerns me in insulation in the winter. We are zone 7a, so it's not terribly frigid (like Canada) but I am sure it would be a bit drafty. Ideas?

Hokum Coco

Crowing
8 Years
Dec 6, 2012
New Brunswick,Canada
. I've just had this idea of converting this underneath space to our coop.
Your proposal may work fine. Personally I would build a coop or tractor that would fit under the deck but would be able to move in case unforeseen issues should arise. Hope what ever you decide works out for you.

Last edited:

Top Bottom