1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Deckal-B chickens

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Drosera, Mar 23, 2008.

1. Drosera

Drosera Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2008
    Henryville, Quebec
    I've got a couple of black chickens on order. Twice now, when I asked what breed they were, he told me "Deckal-B". In my searches on the net, all I could find was that Deckal was a company, of Asian origin. But none of those pages would say what their Deckal-B chickens are.

Anyone have any ideas on this?

Thanks.

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Can you describe them a bit better? Could be a trade name for a production breed of bird.

3. Drosera

Drosera Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2008
    Henryville, Quebec
    No I can't. I don't have them yet, and they didn't have any pictures at the co-op. I guess I'll just wait until I get them and post pics. I just thought there might be someone who might already know about this Deckal-B stuff.

Thanks for responding. [​IMG]

4. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    My money is that "Deckal-B" is either a Quebecois or intentionally-amusing way of pronouncing "Dekalb", a big commercial poultry producer. They do apparently, sez google, produce black hybrid layers [​IMG]

Pat

5. LinckHillPoultry

LinckHillPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    I know sometimes hatcheries will make some sort of hybrid and give it a special name. Ideal has some type of leghorn breed they did this with. Just a guess?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by