1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Decomp...how long?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by derbygirl1961, Jul 29, 2011.

1. derbygirl1961

derbygirl1961 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 15, 2009
    I lost 5 of my chickens~I went a way for the day, and they were free ranging.

I suspect dogs, as bodies were left and some of my other chickens are missing tail feathers, so catch, kill, and go after another makes sense.

After reading thru other posts tonight I learned the SSS method. If I ever see another dog on my property, that is the way he (they) will be dealt with.

My real question is...I think one of the five may have attempted to get away by going underneath a shed. The smell...well, horrendous is mild. I can't get to it (and at this point 3 days later in 110 degree heat, nor do I want to) How long til it decomposes? It wasn't the biggest one, which was a cochin, nor was it a bantam, maybe 6 pounds....any ideas or suggestions?

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    I can't give you a guesstimate but I can say that it will be much faster in these temps than if the weather were cooler. Give it another few days and I think the smell will have diminished quite a bit. Sorry you had this experience.

3. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    You can throw some agricultural lime under there to help with the smell, it is gonna take a few days for the strong smell to be gone then you will catch smells of it every now and then unless something gets it out from under there like a possum or dog..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by