Decomposed Granite Is it safe

Unfortunately we don’t have composting littler like that in our yard just pine needles so I have to find another method so I’m thinking of layering the dg then sand and where the duck pond is doing river rocks and I we’ll have different roosting trees and lots of inrichment tools and when I’m home they can free range
Pine straw works great and will keep the smells down. Put about 8 to 12 inches of it in there. Believe it or not, they will break it down in no time at all. I usually have to add some pinestraw about twice per year. Water flows thru it (and air) so it dries quickly. Then this fall if any one puts out bags of leaves or grass clippings for trash pick up, grab them and add that too. And if you get a chance to get some wood chips, add it too.

You can also go to vacant lots, the edge of the woods, or the side of roads and fill many bags of green weeds. Chickens eat some weeds, and the ones they don't like will help build compost in your run floor. Throw as much green stuff as you can in there. It takes green and brown stuff to make good compost. Just do a search online for how to make compost. You don't even need to turn it over, the birds will do it for you! :yesss:

Too much green stuff can cause problems, it can mat and get nasty.
Plus the poop is 'green' and you need the browns to 'eat it up'.
You want a lot of browns, in various sizes, but definitely some larger ones that will last.
@aart is right. There are formulas online for how much green stuff to brown stuff (pine needles). I figured since you have a source of pine needles that it would probably be the bulk of your compost. Look up pine straw composting to see exactly how much green you will need for the pine straw. You can put the pine down now, and add the green stuff as you can get it. But like Aart said, don't get carried away, keep it in the right proportions.
:highfive:

Look up pine straw composting to see exactly how much green you will need for the pine straw.
Unless you are trying to make good garden soil, those recipes are not applicable.
Tho they might help one understand how composting works.
The term 'composting' is often misunderstood and misused,
and there are many different types of composting.
I'm not trying to make good 'soil' in my run, just keep the poops breaking down..
...thus am only adding coarse browns to the area.

I want to find a run bedding that Keeps down smell easy to clean and inexpensive to do I don’t wanna use straw I don’t wanna use hey I’m thinking about doing sand so that I can scoop it out easier please give me your insight

If you truly want easy, keeps the smell down(no bad odors) and a bonus of not drawing flies. Use wood chips or natural undyed mulch, some of your pine needles and yard/garden waste. If you can find some leaves in the fall, add some also.
There is no cleaning to do(easy), the poop breaks down into the mixture(no smell), your chickens will love scratching though it and dust bathing. If you really want the ducks, you should build a separate run for them. I had them once for a very short time, to messy for me.

If you prefer to scoop sand, you might want to get something to sift it also, to get the small pieces out as they build up in the sand. Also wet poop won't scoop so well.

This is my run, I haven't cleaned it out in three years, I just add to it as needed.

20171126_121131.jpg

Love the sand in the run and most importantly so do the chicks. They dust bathe in it, use the grit in it, it has no smell and cleans easily in 5 minutes on a daily basis. I also have it in the coop with the exception of the nest boxes. Works wonderfully. Good luck with your plans.
What kind of sand do you use in the run, play sand?

Back
Top Bottom